alphonseg

Incorrect Install Folder

For one client we have several related apps. So, they are installed under a common folder in ProgramFilesFolder, like
C:\Program Files (x86)\<OurCommonfolder>\<App1Folder>\App1.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\<OurCommonfolder>\<App2Folder>\App2.exe
and so forth.
Prior versions were deployed with a setup package built with InatallShield LE.
I just deployed the first version deployed with AI, using the same Upgrade Code.
The old version uninstalled, the new one installed and everything seemed to work fine, until a scheduled task that runs the app unattended failed.
I found that the app was installed in a subfolder C:\Program Files (x86)\<OurCommonfolder>\<App1Folder>\<App1Folder>\App1.exe.
I couldn't see a reason why, so I uninstalled the app, then re-installed it, without making any changes or rebuilding the setup package.
It installed in the correct folder. So, all is well now, but I am just curious as to why this would happen.
Eusebiu

Re: Incorrect Install Folder

Hi,

Looking over the project that you sent I've noticed that you specified a folder in the "Application Folder" field from the "Install Parameters" page and also created it under the "Application Folder" from the "Files and Folders" page which means that it will be created twice during the installation. If this is your intention, then I will need more details about your scenario and a verbose log of the installation, so I can investigate it.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
alphonseg

Thanks for the reply.
AI created that extra folder in 'Files and Folders' and I just confirmed it.
Opened my VS solution.
Added new AI project & saved it.
Opened the new project in AI and changed Install Parameters > Application folder to '[ProgramFilesFolder]MACS\' and saved the project.
Back to VS and clicked 'Add Project Output', selected primary, references, etc., click Ok.
AI added the 'MACS' folder under 'Application Folder' and added the appropriate files to the 'MACS' folder.
My current AI projects are working fine and I don't want to waste your time. I was simply curious as to why the difference in folders when replacing the InstallShield LE setup with the AI setup, the extra folder was created, but after a complete uninstall, AI installed to my desired folder.
If you think it's an issue you wish to pursue, I'll see if I can duplicate on a VM and collect the verbose log.
Eusebiu

Hi,

Thank you for the information. I'm not sure why the issue appeared in the first place, but if you will still encounter it, just send me the verbose log, so I can investigate it.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
alphonseg

Ok, thanks
Eusebiu

You're welcome.

Best regards,
Eusebiu