h.hasenack

SVN, Advanced Installer and Build Nrs

Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:52 am

I am using SVN for version management
Using a single .rc file to define my version number
Advanced installer "extracts" the version number from my binaries.

That's all just great!

But when I change my version # and rebuild my setup script fro the command line, advanced installer modifies the advanced installer .aip file in that it updates the version number. This is undesirable as from my POV I only changed the Version.rc file.

Is there a way around this? Otherwise, see it as a feature request.

Hans
S&G Asset Management
----------------------------
Kind regards,

Hans Hasenack
S&G Asset Management
Netherlands

h.hasenack

Re: SVN, Advanced Installer and Build Nrs

Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:15 am

I think this issue is closely related to viewtopic.php?f=2&t=45643 as not only the version number has changed in the aip, but indeed also the product code.

:idea: Would it be an idea to keep the product code in a separate file -or- allow the product code to be imported from another file (like the version #) so it's management can be outside the aip file?

:? It appears to be a bit more complicated and have more consequences than I estimated at a first glance
----------------------------
Kind regards,

Hans Hasenack
S&G Asset Management
Netherlands

Catalin

Re: SVN, Advanced Installer and Build Nrs

Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:18 pm

Hello Hans,
But when I change my version # and rebuild my setup script fro the command line, advanced installer modifies the advanced installer .aip file in that it updates the version number.
Please note that this is the normal behavior as Advanced Installer is set to take the version number from one of your binaries. If the version of the binary will be updated, so will the version number from the Advanced Installer project.

To avoid this, you can manually set the version of your Advanced Installer project, instead of automatically taking it from a binary.

In what regards the fact that the ProductCode also changes, this is also normal. You can see the explanation in the thread that you have linked above.

If you do not want Advanced Installer to generate a new ProductCode, you can use the "-noprodcode" parameter, e.g.:

Code: Select all

AdvancedInstaller.com /edit MyProject.aip /SetVersion 2.0.0 -noprodcode
Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”