antoinel

Web installer problem/question

Hello,

Currently, we are distributing a package (an exe) which is installed side-by-side. Everything is working fine. For a new requirement, we are considering the “Web installer” functionality.

I would expect the web install setup to behave exactly as if the setup was launched locally. But it seems to have a different behavior for the application folder where we append the ProductVersion: it’s simply "Manufacturer/ProductName", no ProductVersion. In our setup, it’s not possible to modify the application/installation folder (this dialog is desactivated/hidden). Do we have to do something more when using this functionality?

Also, during uninstallation of an application installed with a Web installer, the original download url is still used. Once an app is installed with a Web installer, is it possible to uninstall it while being offline?

Tested with Advanced Installer 17.2.

Thanks for your time
Catalin

Re: Web installer problem/question

Hello,

Please note that the web installer works like this:

Our .EXE boostrapper simply launches the .MSI using a command line as it follows:

Code: Select all

msiexec /i <url_to_msi>
For more information about this, you can have a look over the following article:

Downloading an Installation from the Internet
But it seems to have a different behavior for the application folder where we append the ProductVersion: it’s simply "Manufacturer/ProductName", no ProductVersion.
I am not quite sure I understand this. Could you please give me some more details about it so I can further assist?
Also, during uninstallation of an application installed with a Web installer, the original download url is still used. Once an app is installed with a Web installer, is it possible to uninstall it while being offline?
As explained above, if the install process uses the MSI's URL, so does the uninstall process.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
antoinel

Thanks for your answer.

I see, it's how msi works.
But it seems to have a different behavior for the application folder where we append the ProductVersion: it’s simply "Manufacturer/ProductName", no ProductVersion.
I am not quite sure I understand this. Could you please give me some more details about it so I can further assist?
As mentionned, Application folder is "[ProgramFilesFolder][Manufacturer]\[ProductName]\[VERSION]" where "VERSION" is a custom property which contains only the first two digits of ProductVersion. Patches overwrite previous version, but I don't think it has any incidence in this case.

When installing from a Web installer, the Application folder seems to be simply "[ProgramFilesFolder][Manufacturer]\[ProductName]". Our application is not installed in the same folder anymore. Only "Package Type" is changed to "Web installer (downloadable small exe)".

Thanks again.
Catalin

Hello,

I have tested this and everything seemed to be working as expected.

Could you please give me some more details about the VERSION property?

For instance, are you declaring it in the "Install Parameters" page?

In my test, I have simply created the VERSION property and gave it a value and this worked just fine. The tests were done with version 17.2 of Advanced Installer.

Best regards,
Catalin
antoinel

Hello,

It's present in "Install Parameters" page. Probably something on our end, I'll try to do more tests.

Were you using side by side installs?

Thanks for your time
Catalin

Hello,

First of all, please accept my apologies for the delayed reply.
Were you using side by side installs?
Yes, I was using the "side by side" option.
Probably something on our end, I'll try to do more tests.
Sure thing. Please let me know if you require any further assistance and I will gladly assist.

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Common Problems”