akshay karambale

Displaying Pre-requisite dialog

Hi,
We have created one Bootstrapper project. In that project we have added some pre-requistes which are required at the time of installation on windows 7 and Windows 8 machine. In our case when we are installing this bootstrapper on windows 7 machine it detects whether the pre-requisites already installed on this machine if it is not installed then it displays that pre-requisite dialog and if that pre-requisites is already installed then also it display that pre-requisite dialog which we dont want.
Also at the time of uninstalltion of this bootstrapper from windows 7 and Windows 8 machine it first displays that pre-requisite dialog which is not our requirement. We dont want to display that pre-requisite dialog at the time of uninstallation from windows 7 and windows 8 machine.
So please guide us to achieve our requirement. If you have any question then please ask.

Thanks
Akshay
Catalin

Re: Displaying Pre-requisite dialog

Hello Akshay,
Also at the time of uninstalltion of this bootstrapper from windows 7 and Windows 8 machine it first displays that pre-requisite dialog which is not our requirement. We dont want to display that pre-requisite dialog at the time of uninstallation from windows 7 and windows 8 machine.
Could you please give me some more details here?

By default, when you are uninstalling a product from "Control Panel", it is uninstalled silently, i.e. no dialogs are spawned.

Additionally, when you are uninstalling the product by using the setup (e.g. run the setup --> select "Remove") the dialogs are also not spawned.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
akshay karambale

Hi,
Thanks for the reply,
I am explaining the scenarios,
1) pre-requisites already installed on Windows 7 and Windows 8 machine

When i am trying to install my bootstrapper on above machine it again asking me to install pre-requisites.

2) Uninstallation of Bootstrapper which is already installed using my setup file(Bootstrapper.exe).

When i am trying to uninstall bootstrapper from above machine it again asking me to install pre-requisites.
(At the time of uninstallation it again ask to install pre-requisites).

Now our requirement is,
we dont want these pre-requiste dialog for above two scenariose.

I hope now get our problem,
So please solve this problem as early as possible.
Thanks
Akshay
akshay karambale

Hi,
I am explaining some more observation about this UCRT installation issue.
We have Windows 7 and 8 machine with UCRT installed on it having version 10.0.14393.2990 at this location "C:\Windows\System32\ucrtbase.dll" and using our bootstrapper we are searching ucrtbase.dll having minimal version of 10.0.17763.348.
So when we are executting my bootstrapper on this machine it first searches Version of UCRT and it finds machine has lower version than minimum required version so it displays pre-requiste dialog and asking to install ucrt of higher version and it installs that bootstrapper successfully, but it is not going to update that ucrtbase.dll from "C:\Windows\System32\ucrtbase.dll" this location. So when we again trying to install that bootstrapper it finds the same version (10.0.14393.2990) again and asking me to install that UCRT (that means again showing me that pre-requisite dialog). Which is not correct behaviour according to us. We have observed same observation on some more machine with same configuration.
Can you please resolve this issue, why that ucrtbase.dll file is not updating?
This issue is road block for us, so try to resolve it as early as possible.

Thanks
Akshay
Catalin

Hello Akshay,

This looks like an issue with your prerequisite itself (judging by the fact that the version of the DLL file is not updated).

This can be avoided by adding multiple search criterias for your prerequisite. For instance, beside the version taken from the DLL file, you could add one more search (that is false when a lower version is installed and true when your version is installed).

When doing so, please make sure to have the "Install prerequisite if all conditions are false" option checked from the "Install Conditions" tab.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”