Catalin

Re: Launched exe stays in background

Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:28 pm

Hello Simon,

I am currently working with our development team to fix this.

I have just tested a RC version, but unfortunately the issue was still reproducible on my end.

As I have mentioned in my other threads, we will do our best to include a fix for this issue in the next release, but I can not make any promises, since this issue seems to be giving some troubles to our development team.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Catalin

Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:06 pm

Hello Simon,

Could you please test this with our latest version, 18.2 and let me know if everything works as expected on your end?

Best regards,
Catalin

SimLoe

Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:46 am

Hello Catalin,

once again, I could not observe any changes. The launched window still is in the background.
Could you please tell me which settings you expect me to use in order to achieve the desired behavior?

Currently, I am running the setup itself as administrator and using Custom Actions "Launch File" type with the checkbox "run as administrator" enabled.

Looking forward to your reply!

Best regards,
Simon

Catalin

Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:53 pm

Hello Simon,

I am sorry to hear the issue is still reproducible.

The settings you are using are indeed correct.

I have run some tests again on my end and I was also able to reproduce the issue. I'm afraid that I will have to redirect this back to our development team once again.

This problem seems to be causing more troubles to our development team than I expected.

While testing earlier, I was thinking that, if your custom action is scheduled after the "Finish Execution" action group, would it be a problem if that custom action was added "without sequence" and triggered on the "Finish" button of the "ExitDlg" dialog? I have tried this and it looks like the application is launched in the foreground when doing so.

If possible, could you please try this, let me know if it works and if it would be a suitable workaround for you (at least in the meantime)?

Best regards,
Catalin

SimLoe

Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:23 am

Hallo Catalin,

to be honest, I am really disappointed. Is it now the third time that you tell me that the issue was fixed, and you never even have tried before if the "fix" worked?

I don't want the actions to be performed after the "Finish" button has been clicked, since they might take some time and if they don't succeed my application won't work as expected. This is why, I want them to be performed "during" the setup, after having copied the files, before showing the finish page.

I am really hoping that you will find a solution for this problem soon.

Best regards,
Simon

Catalin

Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:21 pm

Hello Simon,
to be honest, I am really disappointed. Is it now the third time that you tell me that the issue was fixed, and you never even have tried before if the "fix" worked?
Please accept my apologies for this.

Even though the issue passed the QA check, I have tested it right before notifying you due to what happened in the past and somehow it worked as expected on my end. After you have mentioned the issue was still reproducible, I've run few more tests and I managed to reproduce the issue somehow with the same .AIP I was testing before.

Right now before writing this, I opened the VM, ran few tests with the resources I saved from yesterday and it worked (i.e. my executable was launched in the foreground, above the setup). I reverted the VM to a "clean" state, copied again the resources on the machine and then I managed to reproduce it.

If possible, could you please strip down your project (so it contains only the executable and the custom action) and forward it to me at support at advancedinstaller dot com? I'd like to provide it to our QA team for tests when a fix will be available (& I'd also like to test it) - since what happened to me most likely happened to the QA team as well, making me believe that my test resources may not be as reliable as I thought.

Best regards,
Catalin

SimLoe

Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:26 pm

Hi Catalin,

I just created a sample project and sent you the files. By the way, I already had sent you one sample project last year... (see previous forum page).
Please have a look at the files and try to find a solution. You can also contact me via email if you have further questions.

Hope to hear from you soon

Simon

Catalin

Wed May 05, 2021 3:36 pm

Hello Simon,

Thank you very much for the provided resources!

I will have a look over them soon and I will let you know if I find anything that might be useful.

Best regards,
Catalin

SimLoe

Wed May 26, 2021 9:39 am

Hello Catalin,

once again, the latest update did not contain any fixes on this issue.
Can you please have a look it again and prioritize this topic?

Thanks,
Simon

Catalin

Wed May 26, 2021 4:59 pm

Hello Simon,

Yes, unfortunately this was not fixed.

Please note that I have already opened the issue and it has the maximum priority I could assign to it. However, the dev team was not quite able to find a fix for it.

The reason I did not follow you up on this is because I also did not manage to find a workaround for this.

I will let you know if either me or the dev team will find anything useful.

Best regards,
Catalin

SimLoe

Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:39 pm

Hello Catalin,

looking at the change log of the latest version, I cannot see that this bug was fixed. I am really losing patience. Instead of developing new features, you should stick to fixing obvious bugs.

10 Months have passed by and nothing has happened.

To me, it looks like you have no interest in fixing this bug. Really disappointing!

Catalin

Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:20 pm

Hello Simon,

I am honestly sorry for this situation!

It is not that 'we have no interest fixing this bug', but rather we were not able to fix it.

The bug has been worked on by the developer I have assigned this to, but it has been giving us quite some trouble.

Best regards,
Catalin

SimLoe

Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:48 am

So how are you going to continue here?
Will you just ignore the bug, or will you have another developer take a look at it?

Catalin

Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:32 pm

Hello Simon,

We will, of course, continue investigating this.

The developer in charge of this has already asked for help from other colleagues regarding this.

Best regards,
Catalin

SimLoe

Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:01 am

Hello Catalin,

any updates on this? I need a fix as soon as possible.

Best regards,
Simon

Return to “Common Problems”