nchounlapane

Feature-install issues during silent install

Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:16 pm

I have two installers, one solely for installing prerequisites, the other being the main installer. The prerequisite installer itself is a prerequisite for the main installer. The issue that I'm having is that the main installer prematurely starts installing when the prerequisite installer itself has not finished due to the fact that it has a feature-install (resulting in getting the "Another program is being installed" error). This occurs only on silent installs, not normal installs.

I have followed instructions from https://www.advancedinstaller.com/user- ... sites.html, and set AI_LaunchChainer to 1266 against the prerequisite installer. This still results getting the "Another program is being installed" error. I did not see the AI_LaunchChainer in the CustomAction table of my main installer so I'm not sure if it should be applied to that. Any suggestions?

Catalin

Re: Feature-install issues during silent install

Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:48 am

Hello,
I have followed instructions from https://www.advancedinstaller.com/user- ... sites.html, and set AI_LaunchChainer to 1266 against the prerequisite installer.
I believe the above changes should be done against the main installer, not against the prerequisite.

Please note that the "AI_LaunchChainer" custom action is the one that launches the prerequisite. This custom action resides in the main installer when a prerequisite is added to it.

Could you please make the changes to the main package and let me know if everything works as expected?

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

nchounlapane

Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:41 pm

Catalin,

I have added AI_LaunchChainer with value 1266 to the main installer. The prerequisite installer installed fine, but the main installer did not run at all. Is there supposed to be anything within the Target column?
launchchainer.jpg
launchchainer.jpg (33.21KiB)Viewed 3088 times

Catalin

Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:06 am

Hello,

That is indeed strange.

Did you launch the main installer from an elevated command prompt?

Please note that in order to install a setup silently, administrator privileges should be provided (right click --> "Run as administrator" on the cmd.exe).

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Catalin

nchounlapane

Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:41 pm

Sorry for the late reply. Yes we did run from an elevated command prompt. We ended up switching to a post-install instead and it works as intended. Thank you for your support!

Catalin

Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:06 pm

You are always welcome!

I am glad everything is working as expected now.

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Common Problems”