Jacob Darka

Pressing "Enter" goes back a page

Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:25 am

Hello,

I made a project with the Surface theme, then added a "WelcomeDlg", when I press "Enter" on the keyboard while I'm in the "WelcomeDlg", it takes me to the "InstallDlg", which is normal and expected, however, when I press "Enter" while in "InstallDlg", it takes me back to "WelcomeDlg" instead of continuing the installation, what's the reason for this behavior? and how can I fix it?

Regards,
Jacob

Catalin

Re: Pressing "Enter" goes back a page

Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:33 pm

Hello Jacob,

I have tested this, but unfortunately I was not able to replicate the described behavior.

The "InstallDlg" dialog should not proceed any further until the user agrees to the "License terms and conditions".

Basically, if I press "Enter" right after the "InstallDlg" dialog is spawned, nothing happens. If, however, I first click the "I agree to the License terms and conditions" checkbox and then press "Enter", the setup will start installing its' files.

Could you please be a little bit more specific about your scenario?

For instance, what version of Advanced Installer are you using to build your project? Beside the specified modification (i.e. add the "WelcomeDlg" dialog), have you brought any other?

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Jacob Darka

Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:41 pm

Hello Catalin,

I forgot to say that I made some modifications to the Surface theme, which is simply disabling the checkbox for "License terms and conditions", and some other changes as well.

I attached an example .api file contains that "Enter" problem.

To replicate the problem, go to "Dialogs", and press "Test Installation UI" to see it in action.
Attachments
Enter Key.aip
(73.91KiB)Downloaded 191 times

Catalin

Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:11 pm

Hello Jacob,

Unfortunately, I am afraid the .AIP file you have provided may be corrupted.

Few things I have noticed so far:

1. the SubTitle control from "WelcomeDlg" is duplicated, therefore one can be deleted

2. the .AIP file can not be built nor I can use the "Test Installation UI" option. The error I am encountering is:
Checking builds status
Build required.

[ DefaultBuild ]
invalid string position

Build finished because an error was encountered.
If, on your end, you are able to build the .AIP file, could you please test the scenario using the .EXE file (e.g. launching it) and let me know if you can reproduce this? It is recommended to test it like this, as the "Test Installation UI" option is not always reliable, especially when it comes to functionality. This option should mostly be used to see the design of your dialogs.

Best regards,
Catalin

Jacob Darka

Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:58 am

Hello Catalin,

I got the same error with the .AIP file that I myself uploaded, I should've tested it before doing so, sorry for that.

I uploaded another .AIP which will work to show you the issue.

You can delete "WelcomeDlg" and make a new one, and the issue will still be present.

As for testing the scenario using the .EXE file, it is the same, that's how I even found the issue.
Attachments
Enter Key v2.aip
(72.29KiB)Downloaded 178 times

Catalin

Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:45 pm

Hello Jacob,

Thank you for the provided .AIP file.

I was indeed able to replicate the behavior.

Unfortunately, I can not really say why this happens because, from what I can see, you have brought a lot of modifications to the dialogs.

To be fully honest with you, the Surface theme is quite a complicated custom theme and I'd advise against modifying it a lot.

For instance, if you do not want the "LicenseAgreement", I'd say it is better to use a theme that does not incorporate it by default, rather than using this and hiding the controls which may result in an unexpected behavior.

Best regards,
Catalin

Jacob Darka

Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:08 am

Hello Catalin,

I understand, however, I choose the Surface theme for one reason only, that is, I want the whole installation to be like:

Click on the EXE file > Insert installation path > click on a big "Install" button > finished

As simple as that, and afaik the easiest way to do that is by applying the Surface theme and modify it, or is there another way to achieve that?

Catalin

Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:22 pm

Hello Jacob,

You can achieve that using pretty much any theme.

Please have a look on our "How do I create a lightweight setup with a single dialog?" article for more information about this.

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Common Problems”