Zsolt Kollarits

Error while setup tries to configure IIS

Dear Advanced Installer Support Team,

Some customers experienced an issue while they are installing our latest installer:
-- Error 4034. There was an error during the IIS configuration process while trying to install Virtual directory 'Default Web Site//TWA/'.

In order to help them I did some online research and found a post from you:
viewtopic.php?t=44987
Here you propose to check the SSL settings, but our customer is NOT using any SSL certificate at all.

Since I could not find anything else on your forums, I decided to open a ticket.

Do you have any idea why our customer is not able to install his virtual directory? I'm attaching their install log file, could you please take a look and advise us something?

Thanks you in advance.

Best regards,
Zsolt
Eusebiu

Re: Error while setup tries to configure IIS

Hi Zsolt,

This problem usually appears, when IIS is busy configuring something else on the machine or when some settings cannot be applied because of insufficient permissions.

Can you please ask your clients to check the Event Viewer for more information about this problem? Also, does this work if they restart the machine?

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Zsolt Kollarits

Hi Eusebiu,

I will send over some EventViewer logfiles that we got from the customer. He is getting a bit impatient, cause he simply not able to install our product as the installation is always rolling back due to the mentioned IIS issue.

Could you please advise us something? It would be highly appreciated.

Thank you,
Zsolt
Daniel

Hi Zsolt,

I am afraid we weren't able to find to many details about this issue in the sent Event Viewer log.

Could you please ask you customer to create an installation log and send it to us by email at support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate it? Also, please send us your .AIP (setup project) file too.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Zsolt Kollarits

Hi Daniel,

I will also send the the files via WeTransfer. To be honest, it´s quite strange that I can´t attach a .zip with a size of 1.345 kb here, cause your page is saying that the file is too large.

Best regards,
Zsolt
Daniel

Hi Zsolt,

Analyzing your sent log file it seems the installation fialure of the log you have sent is caused by a failure of one of your custom action: SetWebAccessAuth

Could you try to debug your custom action code and make sure it returns an exit code of 0 (success)?

All the best,
Daniel
Zsolt Kollarits

Hi Daniel,

Thank you the tip from you, we managed to continue this issue with our customer. So far we were waiting for his answer, but now we got another logfile from him, that contains another error code (not the original I opened this ticket for). Could you please take a look at the latest logfile and propose us something. I wil send the logfile via email. Why do they experience an installation rollback?

Thank you in advance!

Best regards,
Zsolt
Daniel

Hi Zsolt,

I am afraid the sent log file does not contain any useful info regarding the error cause. It seems the installation just fails to enable the Windows Features and/or Server Roles you configured into your setup project.

Could you please try your customer to run the setup package with a debug log command like this:

Code: Select all

msiexec.exe /i setup.msi AI_DEBUGLOG=1 /L*V <pathToLog>\debug.log
and send us the created debug log too?

Also, could you try to manually set on your customer machine the Windows Features and/or Server Roles you configured into your setup project? And see if there occurs any error during manual activation?

All the best,
Daniel
Zsolt Kollarits

Dear Advanced Installer Support Team,

Another customers reported problem with our installer that the "IIS configuration" step is failing, so that our entire installer is just rolling back. Could you please take a look at the logfiles I will send over via email and propose us something? This issue is getting more and more severe now as it's happening for quite a long time now, so we would highly appreciate if you could tell us somehow why we see those IIS related errors in our installation logfile and how to prevent them.

Best regards,
Zsolt
Daniel

Hi Zsolt,

Looking over your sent log file it seems there is a problem with the creation of the web application pool.

Can you please send us the .aip (project file) by email at support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate its settings and run a few tests on our side too?

All the best,
Daniel

Return to “Common Problems”