ehardin

extended trial period

I have our software set to a 15 day trial period with a possibility of contacting us for an extended trial period of another 15 days. The "Disable further extensions is set at 45 days.

I just had a trial user ask for a 15 day extension. I emailed him the code and he was able to run the program for about 2 hours before the extended period ended.

The first log file I got from him stated:
InitLicensingSupport: Trial Copy with 15 days remaining.
Two hours later the log file reported:
InitLicensingSupport: Trial Expired...

I was thinking that, if he originally installed the 15 day trial period 45 days ago and just now is asking for a 15 day extension, is it being turned of because of the "Disable further extensions being set at 45 days? Or could something else be causing this?

Ed
Catalin

Re: extended trial period

Hello Ed,
I was thinking that, if he originally installed the 15 day trial period 45 days ago and just now is asking for a 15 day extension, is it being turned of because of the "Disable further extensions being set at 45 days?
I have tested this and I can confirm that you are indeed right. Here are the steps of the test-case:

- trial available for 15 days

- "Disable further extensions at 20 days after installation"

- installed the setup --> the application entered in Trial mode for 15 days

- changed the date via PowerShell by adding 16 days

- opened the application, the trial expired as expected. I have then extended it by another 15 days

- changed the date once again via PowerShell by adding 5 days (in total 21 days)

- checked the application and the trial seemed to be expired

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
ehardin

Catalin,

Thanks for following up on that. The trial customer wasn't being responsive enough for me to ask enough questions. When I saw that 45 day limit it rang a bell but I did not know how to test it on my machine without setting up a whole new test or virtual machine.

Now I know. Thanks for your work on this.

Ed
Catalin

You are always welcome, Ed!

Please let me know if there is anything else I could help you with and I will gladly assist.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”