tvalone2

Question

Several questions..

I work for the CA DMV and have sent some emails, but I don't know if somehow we are blocking emails from your country / company so I created an account with my GMAIL.
While I wait for my PC support to activate again Advanced Installer on my machine I have a question.

I store the updates.txt and the exec built from Advanced Installer. I click on the updater and it denotes a newer versions. It downloads it and then just pops the application up.

I know I saw this behavior a long time ago, but I don't remember what the solution is.
Daniel

Re: Question

Hi Toren,

This may happen if the updates setup package is configured to be silently launched for installation by the Updater. Just open your updates configuration project and go to "Updates" page -> "Update installer" tab and check if there is used any silent command line (e.g. /qn or /exenoui /qn).

From what I understood the behavior is that the updates installation is performed silently and then the installed application is launched at the end of the installation. If this is not true, please give me more details about this (maybe attach some screenshots or record a short video).

Also, to investigate this, could you please send us by email at support at advancedinstaller dot com the following resources:

1. the .AIP (setup project) of your old version of your setup package - the one that installed the Updater that is launched to check for and install updates
2. the .AIP (setup project) of your new version of your setup package
3. the .AIP (setup project) of your updates configuration file

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
tvalone2

Thanks Daniel, on another note, we had a purchase order, normally it goes to a third party who purchases it for us. Can you tell me what channel at Calyphon that would know if this has been received?
tvalone2

Ok I upgraded to 17.5 and I found the area to register my computer with the key. I had to send the email so not sure how that works.
Daniel

Hi Toren,

We received your license request email and my colleague Dan replied you with the license activation info.

If there is anything else we can help you with just let us know.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
tvalone2

I was able to update my license and your email was blocked by our system. I have another question. When I install an app, it installs it to the AppData roaming profile and does not install it in the program files(x86). I don't have admin to my machine, is this the normal behavior.
tvalone2

Ok as to my other issue, I had uploaded the MSI from my Visual Studio 2017 build and not the installation package from AI. My bad.
Catalin

Hello Toren,
I have another question. When I install an app, it installs it to the AppData roaming profile and does not install it in the program files(x86). I don't have admin to my machine, is this the normal behavior.
Please note that this is indeed the normal behavior.

If you do not have administrator privileges and the installation type ("Install Parameters" page --> "Installation Type") is of "per-user only", then all the files will be redirected to the %appdata% folder, because writing to a per-machine location (i.e. the %programfiles% folder) requires administrator privileges.

In what regards your other issue, I am glad you found the culprit and that everything works as expected now.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Common Problems”