prerak6962

Breaking Change: TestODBCConnection Custom Action

Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:07 am

Hi,

In one of the recent updates of Advanced Installer, "TestODBCConnection" custom action was added into "SQL Databases" menu.

The project dialog was updated successfully in terms of custom action execution time and various properties used for the parameters (server, user, etc.) without any intervention required from our end.

While this is surely helpful, it has a breaking change.
Previously, as per the tutorial, the "TestODBCConnection" custom action had a condition of:

Code: Select all

NOT (SqlConnectionString = "")
And I suppose, this property does not exist or is not required anymore after the update. As a result, few of our installers that were built with the latest version were broken as the condition is always false, hence the custom action is not executed and the user can not go to the next dialog.

Could you please confirm, if this is a known bug or there is something that I missed?

Thank you.
Prerak

Catalin

Re: Breaking Change: TestODBCConnection Custom Action

Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:21 pm

Hello Prerak,

The SqlConnectionString property still exists and the condition should still be valid.

After all, the "TestODBCConnection" custom action can not work without a connection string.
connectionstring.png
connectionstring.png (51.81KiB)Viewed 2925 times

If possible, could you please forward me a test-case which I can follow in order to reproduce this issue? So far, I was not able to do so in my tests.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

prerak6962

Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:54 am

Hi Catalin,

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, I am unable to reproduce the issue in a new project. But I had the same issue in two of my old projects.
I'll still try to reproduce it and if I still can't, it must be a mistake on my end in some other config, that caused the issue.

Prerak

Catalin

Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:46 pm

You are always welcome, Prerak!

Please let me know if you still require assistance and I will be glad to help.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”