berqo127

Synchronized folder

Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:07 pm

Hi,

what is the best practice for managing files? sync folder is dynamic while fixed list of files gives you a better control.
this issue raised because one of my developers added a new reference to one of the projects and a new list of dlls were added to the folder with default 'Main Feature' which caused a problem while the user selected only a specific feature and didnt get all dlls after the installation.

Thanks,
Shlomi

Catalin

Re: Synchronized folder

Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:40 pm

Hello Shlomi,
what is the best practice for managing files?
I am afraid there isn't a "best practice" for managing files. As you have mentioned, each method has its' advantages.

Normally, Synchronized folders are used if you want a folder from your project to contain the exact files a folder from disk contains.
this issue raised because one of my developers added a new reference to one of the projects and a new list of dlls were added to the folder with default 'Main Feature' which caused a problem while the user selected only a specific feature and didnt get all dlls after the installation.
Please note that it is possible to choose the feature under which the synchronized files can go:
featureselection.png
featureselection.png (38.01KiB)Viewed 13096 times
Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

berqo127

Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:59 pm

please see attached snapshot. DatabaseUpdater feature is set to 'DatabaseUpdater' and some resources are linked to DatabaseUpdater as expected while others to Main Feature which is bad . all resources that was linked to main feature has not beem copied when user selected only DatabaseUpdater feature on the installation process.
this is fixed only when I mark all MainFeature resources and move them to DatabaseUpdater feature. this is very disturbing because from to time to time I get a bug that some of the product features doesn't work on client side and after investigation I realize that the root cause is that the resource is not set to the correct feature.

Catalin

Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:47 pm

Hello,

Could you please try to re-attach the screenshot highlighting this issue to the thread? It looks like you forgot to attach it.

Additionally, if possible, could you please give me a step-by-step test-case which I can use in order to reproduce this issue? So far, I've not been able to do so.

Best regards,
Catalin

berqo127

Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:28 am

Hi,

Oops :) I've attached it again. this is the thing I'm not sure how to reproduce it. I think that when new files added to the synced folder they get 'Main Feature' as default instead of the one I set on the folder - in this case 'Database Updater'.

Regards,
Shlomi
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-11-18 145003.png
Screenshot 2020-11-18 145003.png (161.12KiB)Viewed 13056 times

Catalin

Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:42 pm

Hello Shlomi,

Thank you for the provided screenshot.
this is the thing I'm not sure how to reproduce it.
I've done some tests on my end, but unfortunately I was not able to replicate the behavior. All the files I'm adding to the folder on disk are then coupled to the right feature.

If possible, could you please forward me a copy of your .AIP file and a copy of the folder you are trying to synchronize by e-mail at support at advancedinstaller dot com?

Additionally, could you please give me some more details about the scenario? Your developer simply added a new file to the folder and the file was assigned to the wrong feature?

Best regards,
Catalin

berqo127

Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:08 pm

Hi,

I've sent the files you have requested. again I'm not sure what is the exact scenario. it seems that new files that were added in a later stage gets the 'Main feature'.
anyhow if user sets the feature on the folder why there is a possibility that different resources gets different feature settings. what I'm saying that is even if you cant reproduce the issue I'm sure you can check code logic for that.

Thanks,
Shlomi

Eusebiu

Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:22 pm

Hi Shlomi,

I checked the project that you sent and I found that the "Database Updater" folder is synchronized to the "MainFeature" feature, hence the new files added to that folder will be added to that features (see the image below). Can you please change that to the desired feature and test it again?

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Attachments
DatabaseUpdater.png
DatabaseUpdater.png (19.88KiB)Viewed 13033 times
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team

berqo127

Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:42 pm

oops probably is was because I played with the file.
I changed it to DatabaseUpdater and still part of the resources are set to MainFeature.

Eusebiu

Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:32 pm

Hi,

When you change the feature for a synchronized folder you are asked if you want to move all the existing resources to that feature (see image below). Please make sure that you select "Yes" and all the files should be moved there.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Attachments
Synchronize Pop-up.png
Synchronize Pop-up.png (14.7KiB)Viewed 13031 times

berqo127

Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:56 pm

HI,

In my case I don't get the message you mentioned. anyhow it seems that it doesn't matter what Feature I set part of the resources are set to Main Feature and the others to Database Updater.

I use 16.7 version .

Shlomi

Eusebiu

Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:59 am

Hi Shlomi,

Can you please test this in the latest version of Advanced Installer and see if it works?

Best regards,
Eusebiu

Return to “Common Problems”