tvalone2

Can I ship just an updated DLL to my App

Long story short, my app had a undiscovered bug. When the vendor of the service upgraded to their next version my App exhibited an issue with deleting more than 3 files out of a users account. I hunted down and added one line of code to a DLL I had wrote, tested it and it worked.

Here is were AI comes into play.

I am trying to find the best way to deploy this to our 6K customers.

They all have updater.exec on their machines but the INI files (config) are wrong. What I mean is I finally got the resources to serve the updates etc.

So I am guessing I will need to deliver a corrected ini file that points to a patch that will just download the updated DLL.

Is it possible to not replace the calling app and have it just call the updated DLL?
Testing
I built the new version of the app in AI uploaded it the repository and created an updater project and uploaded the text file to the repository
I also corrected the INI file and when I click on the updater.exec it contacts the server, downloads the newer version of the app and goes to install it.
However it detects an existing version of the app and ends the update without installing anything.
Catalin

Re: Can I ship just an updated DLL to my App

Hello,
However it detects an existing version of the app and ends the update without installing anything.
Most likely, this is happening due to a wrong criteria configured in the "Update nstalled Detection Tab".

Please double check that and make sure criteria is correct.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”