timmangan

17.7 failing to create valid MSIX file

I am investigating further, but wanted to post in case this is a "known issue".

After upgrading my system to use 17.7, my AIP project is failing to successfully build a valid MSIX file. It builds a file, but signtool refuses to sign it claiming it is a unknown format.

I tried opening it in another MSIX tool which also doesn't like the output MSIX file. I was able to unpack it as a zip file sucessfully and the contents look reasonable to me at first glance. Files look like they are in place ([Content_Types], AppxManifest, AppXBlockMap, resources.pri, Registry.dat, etc) , and the manifest looks reasonable-ish (not yet sure at the detail level).

Obviously the AIP project was upgraded to the new 17.7 format. A diff between the 17.6 backup of that file and the 17.7 file show only a difference in the AI version at the top, a new package version and product code guids, and a small change in "shortnames" on a handful of the asset files - nothing extraordinary there.

If you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them.
timmangan

Re: 17.7 failing to create valid MSIX file

I have resolved this issue and am posting here both for others and as a suggestion to the AI Dev team to make this easier for developers in the future.

The solution being built was using some NuGet packages tied to the Admin Studio projects. One of those NuGets was updated by using the VS tools to install a new version into the project. Therefore the project dependencies changed.

The VS Extension for AI showed that the AIP project was not updated to reflect the changes made to included project dependencies, although you have too look into the files in the Application Folder to see they are missing (indicated by ???). Since I had the full AI product, I never edit there and just open the AIP in visual studio to click the button to open the project in the full product.

Looking at the files in the Application Folder in the full product, there is no indication that the listed files are missing.

Once I detected the issue in the VS Extension, I asked it to remove the project dependencies, then added them back in. This resolved the issue.

I believe that the full product should have warned me about missing files for the project, if not in the UI when the AIP project was opened, then when I attempted to build it.
Daniel

Re: 17.7 failing to create valid MSIX file

Hi Tim,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We will try to add some improvements in regards to the Nuget packages and app dependencies refresh in the future, thank you for bringing this to our attention.

When this improvement is out we will update this forum thread.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”