gcb_toronto

Running program as Windows 10 user not admin

(Typo corrected)

I would like my .NET program to be installable by the customer logged in as a Windows 10 user.

It is ok if she needs to enter user credentials to install the program.

But ideally she should not have to type ** ADMIN ** credentials every time she runs the program.

The program is installed in [LocalAppDataFolder][Manufacturer][ProductName].

Data is stored by the Advanced Installer and by program itself in the registry under:
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\[Manufacturer][ProductName]

I have experimented with Advanced Installer > Install Parameters > Run as Adminstrator.

But that appears not to affect whether the user is prompted for a Admin credential on running the program.

I have also manually experiment with "runas /savecred" in the Win10 program shortcut.

What is the best way to set this up?

Thanks and regards,
Gerry
Catalin

Re: Running program as Windows 10 user not admin

Hello Gerry,

I am not quite sure if this is a matter of Advanced Installer (e.g. the setup package created with it) or a matter of the application itself.

I might be wrong, but from what I understand, in your scenario you are refering to the application itself.
But that appears not to affect whether the user is prompted for a Admin credential on running the program.
You are indeed right here. The "Run as administrator" option from "Install Parameters" page refers to whether the setup will be run elevated or not.
I have also manually experiment with "runas /savecred" in the Win10 program shortcut.
I am not really familiar with this, but if it has worked manually, then you can pass these arguments to your shortcut in Advanced Installer, as it follows:
runas.png
runas.png (90.36 KiB) Viewed 1266 times

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”