frankmanguiob

Upgrade fails when driver feature is used

Background: This installer has no main exe and just deploys two prerequisite msi's and some support files and drivers. In short it is just a wrapper.

I have earlier versions of this installer with the following specifications (Exe):
1. 32-bit
2. No drivers
3. Deploys drivers with PNPUtil call (unreliable)

Recently I made changes:
1. Mixed 32/64 bit, in support of Advanced installer's driver feature.
2. Two inf's, with "do not prompt user" checked.
3. PNPUtil call removed.

I get installation failures (prerequisites not installed at all, "ended prematurely because of an error") if I have an older version of the installer then install a newer version (with changes as mentioned) over it. It will NOT fail if the drivers are removed from the newer installer.

The newer installer will also not fail (even with drivers) if the older installer's prerequisites have been uninstalled via add/remove programs window first, which is odd since doing this does not have anything to do with the wrapper. In fact, if I install an older version and individually run the prerequisite msi's they install fine.
Eusebiu

Re: Upgrade fails when driver feature is used

Hi,

As per the email conversation, the problem appears because two drivers have the same destination folder which is not allowed. In order to fix this, the installation folder for one of those drivers needs to be changed.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”