bottonTurn

Installer detect an older version but can't remove it

Hi community!, few user are getting this message when try to install the product.

"The older version of XXXX can not be removed. Contact your technical support group. "

I already tried to run registry clean up tools also we have a script to clean up our product from the registry but no luck, advanced installer still show that error.

Also review all my project to see if the message it there but did't find it.

Any help to discover why those users are block to install the product?

Thanks,
Diego
Catalin

Re: Installer detect an older version but can't remove it

Hello Diego,

This problem occurs when the MSI is set to remove any previous instances before installing an upgrade, and Windows Installer is unable to remove the previous instance.

This is normally due to a corruption or loss of required entries/files on your system in order to uninstall the software. To prove this, you can go to Add/Remove programs and attempt to remove the software- the uninstall should again fail (but may provide more detail as to why).

In this case, I think you can try to use the Microsoft FixIt tool, as explained in the following article (not sure if you were refering this tool by "registry clean up tools"):

Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed

Hope this helps somehow!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
bottonTurn

Hi, thanks, it a little bit more complicated, what is causing the problem was rooming profile let me explain I not sure how to support this with advancedinstaller

Our application install under %LOCALAPPDATA%\productFolder and this folder is not propagated by windows in a rooming profile environment. But, windows propagate the registry keys, so when a user try to install the application again the registry key are there but the binary file necesary to run the application not (because installation folder at %LOCALAPPDATSA%\productFolder will not be propagated)

How an enterprise can install an application package with advancedinstaller and still have support to roaming profiles if the application is a per user installation.

Do you know?
bottonTurn

Any update? this is affecting a large number of users.
Catalin

Hello Diego,

This is still under our investigation.

I will update this thread as soon as I will have more information.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin

Hello Diego,

I have tried testing this, but unfortunately I was not able to replicate the descrbied behavior.

If possible, could you please forward me a step-by-step test case (more details = better) which I can follow in order to reproduce this on our end?

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Common Problems”