adi2007jain

Run updater as a service with minutes as frequency

I want to run my updater as a service which checks for updates every x minutes and installs them if there are any. Currently I've configured the updater as shown in the screenshots. However, The updater doesn't get invoked automatically. Can someone please help me out?
editTask1.PNG
editTask1.PNG (37.41 KiB) Viewed 2048 times
editTask2.PNG
editTask2.PNG (35.86 KiB) Viewed 2048 times
editTask3.PNG
editTask3.PNG (32.9 KiB) Viewed 2048 times
Catalin

Re: Run updater as a service with minutes as frequency

Hello Aditya,

Thank you for the provided screenshots.

From what I can see, the command line is missing the "/silentall" parameter, which should search silently for updates and automatically install all updates.

I am assuming this is what you mean by this (the updater does not search for updates & install them):
However, The updater doesn't get invoked automatically.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
adi2007jain

Thanks for the response Catalin, It works fine when I use /silentall -nofreqcheck commandline when my install type is "Per machine only (fail if user is not administrator)". With "per-user only" install type it shows the below dialog while installation of MSI. How can I make it work with "per-user only" ?
errorjob.PNG
errorjob.PNG (16.32 KiB) Viewed 1999 times
Catalin

Hello Aditya,
Thanks for the response Catalin, It works fine when I use /silentall -nofreqcheck commandline when my install type is "Per machine only (fail if user is not administrator)"
I am glad to hear this is working as expected!
With "per-user only" install type it shows the below dialog while installation of MSI. How can I make it work with "per-user only" ?
Unfortunately, as also stated in our article, this will work only for the "Per machine (fails if user is administrator" type.

Please note that the two operations (creating/configuring a Windows Service & creating/configuring a Scheduled Task) require administrator privileges, therefore your setup will not be able to create those if the user is not administrator - as stated in your screenshot, the access is denied.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”