scambias

Property value updated wrong during change install

Hi all,

I have a quite complex setup installing our product.
This setup has one vbs script, with functions that are involved to set some properties in some custom actions. Our vbs produces a log file where I can read the values for those properties.
Among these properties there is the DBW_LANG, which basically stores the language of the product and it can be EN, DE or ES. At start, the default is XX.

With this property I set a registry key if I choose to install one feature (in this example the feature is MyFeatureA):
<ROW Registry="INSTALL_LANGUAGE" Root="2" Key="Software\[Manufacturer]\[MyFeatureA]\98" Name="INSTALL_LANGUAGE" Value="[DBW_LANG]" Component_="INSTALL_LANGUAGE_32"/>

If I run a first installation, this property is set with value EN and it is stored fine in the registry with the needed key

If I go to control panel, choose our installed package, select "change" and remove the product (again, the MyFeatureA), it goes fine.
If I go back on the control panel, select "change" and install that feature, after the completion the registry key is not just EN but ="EN".

In our script log, the property is set as usual, still EN.

I cheked the msi*.log file and I noticed that, related to the DBW_LANG property I have these lines:
(running our script, we set the property value to EN)
line 239 -> MSI (c) (EC!BC) [09:49:46:526]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Modifying DBW_LANG property. Its current value is 'XX'. Its new value: 'EN'.

then in the MSI*.log, after the section ******* Action: INSTALL, I see these lines:
line 1236 -> MSI (s) (70:64) [09:49:58:200]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Modifying DBW_LANG property. Its current value is 'XX'. Its new value: 'EN'.
line 1286 -> MSI (s) (70:64) [09:49:58:200]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Modifying DBW_LANG property. Its current value is 'EN'. Its new value: '="EN"'.

So I wonder: why in the maintenance case this property is modified and by who?

Anyone can help?
Thank you very much
Catalin

Re: Property value updated wrong during change install

Hello,

Unfortuantely, I can not really say why this is happening.

In order for me to further investigate this, could you please try to create a sample project that reproduces this and forward it to me by e-mail at support at advancedinstaller dot com?

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”