IvanKasyanov

SignTool Error

Hello!

My old self-signing certificate expired, so I created a new one. But, when I am trying to build up my project, I am getting following error:
The digital signing of the APPDIR\Pvz.Cre.Shtrih.Api.exe file failed. Error message: 'SignTool Error: Missing filename.
This is an unknown "signtool.exe" error!
I am ready to provide my project for your helpdesk, also, because it is just a self-signed certificate, I can provide it too.

With regards, Ivan.
IvanKasyanov

Re: SignTool Error

Ok, it looks like, I found a bug: this error appears, if you are using a double quote sign (") in your certificate's password. It affects multiple versions, at least "v16.9", "v17.8" and "v17.9". Any other (non-"Advanced Installer") works fine.
So, please, consider this message as a bug report.
Catalin

Hello Ivan,

As you may already know, Advanced Installer uses the SignTool.exe tool to sign your files.

In order to sign the files, a command line is used.

Most likely, I would say the problem appears because the double quote character is not correctly escaped. For instance, you can try to sign any file from the command line using SignTool and it should fail.

What I'd say can be done here is:

- find a way to escape the character when passing a password containing a double quote character in the command line

- in Advanced Installer, go for a custom tool (from your machine) to sign your files (because this allows you to provide your own command line where you can escape the " character)

"Digital Signature" page --> "Sign Tool" dropdown --> "Custom"

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Catalin

Hello Ivan,

This has been fixed in version 18.1 of Advanced Installer, released on March 23rd, 2021.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”