reeset

COM+ Failing to register when installed per machine

Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:04 pm

I'm creating a single installer that can do both 32 and 64 bit and have set the options to install for all users if an admin and to install per user if not. The tool has a COM object that needs to be registered. In the past, I have manually don't registration of COM objects per machine when I created separate installers based on install type. I was kind of hoping to avoid that -- but it appears that Advanced Installer doesn't have the ability to install a COM object per user? Is that correct?

--tr

Catalin

Re: COM+ Failing to register when installed per machine

Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:50 pm

Hello Tr,
but it appears that Advanced Installer doesn't have the ability to install a COM object per user?
I am not quite sure what you mean by the above. Could you please give me some more details about this?

However, when registering an assembly, a "per-machine" registration is considered when the assembly is installed in the "Global Assembly Cache".
Each computer where the Common Language Runtime is installed has a machine-wide code cache called the Global Assembly Cache. The Global Assembly Cache stores assemblies specifically designated to be shared by several applications on the computer.
If you do not want to install the assembly machine-wide, you can choose to "private install" it:
PrivateInstall.png
PrivateInstall.png (23.39KiB)Viewed 1583 times
Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”