SimHorizon

Re: Not being prompted on Uninstall for Data Cleanup?

Wed May 05, 2021 8:00 pm

UPDATED information:
UninstallCleanUp.jpg
UninstallCleanUp.jpg (52.81KiB)Viewed 2061 times
AIDialogs0.jpg
AIDialogs0.jpg (264KiB)Viewed 2061 times
AIDialogs1.jpg
AIDialogs1.jpg (48.49KiB)Viewed 2061 times
With the Uninstall Cleanup Wizard, if I only check "On a full UI Uninstall" it suggests I need to use a "VerifyRemoveDlg" which as you can see is NOT available when I'm in the Dialogs section of AI. Perhaps this only applies to "Enterprise Version"? If this is an Enterprise only feature, then it would be best to NOT show this option in the Uninstall Cleanup Wizard.

Anyway, I still can't get this cleanup process working as desired so I'm looking into using a Custom Action on Uninstall and use my own EXE to do the processing that needs to be accomplished during uninstall.

Cheers, Rob.

Catalin

Mon May 10, 2021 1:21 pm

Hello Rob,

First of all, thank you for your patience on this!

Regarding the issue, I have just done some tests on my end and everything seemed to be working as expected, please see the attached screenshot:
UninstallCleanupSurface.png
UninstallCleanupSurface.png (40.01KiB)Viewed 2043 times

I have used pretty much the same options as you have described:

- always delete the folder

- both Full UI & Basic UI checkboxes checked

- the surface theme with Enhanced User Interface set on "Always"

For your reference, please see the following project:
Your Application.aip
(40.11KiB)Downloaded 176 times

(simply replace the .TXT file from under "Windows Volume" --> "test" folder with a file from your machine and the project should be buildable)
With the Uninstall Cleanup Wizard, if I only check "On a full UI Uninstall" it suggests I need to use a "VerifyRemoveDlg" which as you can see is NOT available when I'm in the Dialogs section of AI. Perhaps this only applies to "Enterprise Version"? If this is an Enterprise only feature, then it would be best to NOT show this option in the Uninstall Cleanup Wizard.
Please note that the "VerifyRemoveDlg" is a dialog displayed only during the uninstall phase. Even though you are not able to see it in your project, it is there.

The feature that allows you to modify dialogs is indeed available starting with our Enterprise suite, however it has nothing to do with the "Uninstall Cleanup" feature.

Could you please have a look over the sample project I have provided above and let me know if you are able to reproduce the issue with it?

If not, could you please try to create a sample project on your end that reproduces the issue and forward it to me?

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

SimHorizon

Mon May 10, 2021 6:55 pm

Hi Catalin,

Thanks for the response. I got your test .aip and it's not representative of what I'm trying to accomplish.

For example you have asd.txt ... I'm not trying to remove just a single file on uninstall, but an entire directory. Using your CleanUp wizard seems to be the source of the error as it can't seem to handle removing entire folders. Your sample .aip didn't process TWO Cleanup Wizard entries where it creates a "*" for name rather than asd.txt (single file).

After more testing, I was able to get the prompt to remove "Your Application settings and temporary files" but it only partially worked as any files created by my application would remain which is NOT what I wanted, I wanted the entire folder and subfolders to be removed.

Anyway, I was able to get done what I needed via a Custom Action and using my own executed code. Maybe your Cleanup wizard is working "by design" and it's just not meeting my specific requirements. I'm happy with using my Custom Action approach.

Cheers, Rob.

Catalin

Wed May 12, 2021 9:39 am

Hello Rob,

Thank you for your followup on this!

I am glad to hear everything works as expected on your end now.

Please let me know if there is anything else I could assist you with and I will gladly do so.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”