SimHorizon

Not being prompted on Uninstall for Data Cleanup?

I used the Uninstall Cleanup wizard and specified for the User to be prompted to remove data.

So when I uninstall (from Add & Remove Programs), I get the standard OS prompt to confirm Uninstall, but I never get a prompt asking to remove my data defined above. The data is removed, but no user prompt asking if they want it removed.

Any suggestions?

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: I'm using the Professional version 17.9
Catalin

Re: Not being prompted on Uninstall for Data Cleanup?

Hello Rob,

This is quite strange, indeed.

I have tested this and everything seemed to be working as expected.
UninstallCleanup.png
UninstallCleanup.png (127.13 KiB) Viewed 5849 times

The only reason I can think of is the component you have asigned to the "Uninstall Cleanup" operation is not actually being uninstalled.
The data is removed, but no user prompt asking if they want it removed.
Please note that the data would be removed anyway if it was installed by your setup package.

For instance, if your setup installs a.txt and b.txt, it will remove them upon uninstall.

The uninstall cleanup is meant, for instance, for files added by the user after the install process (e.g. the user copies c.txt in the folder).

Could you please run a little test as described above and see if the extra-added files are removed as well? If not, it probably means the component you have used is not actually scheduled for uninstall, therefore the operation does not execute.

If the above is not the case, could you please create a sample project that reproduces this issue and forward it to me so I can further investigate it?

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
SimHorizon

Hi Catalin,

Thanks for the response.

The installer will install a series of default files my application uses in My Documents and Application Data. My application can and will add "new" files in these folders as the user works with my application. So these folders will consist of a mixed of "deployed" files and "user" created files.

Theme:

Files and Folders (red circle is where I've gone thru the Uninstall Cleanup process):

Dialogs:

I think the issues is that I have a mix of user data files and deployed data files. Like I said, in my settings above ALL files (user and deployed) in those two folders are deleted (along with the folders) but NO prompt is provided. It's as if the logic to determine whether to Prompt the user isn't looking for any user created files in the folders I have Uninstall Cleanup setup.

Cheers, Rob.
Catalin

Hello Rob,

Thank you for your followup on this.

By using the provided details, I was able to replicate this behavior.

It looks like this is happening due to the "Enhanced User Interface" option ("Themes" page --> "Settings" tab) - which is automatically enabled when a theme such as "Surface" is used.

I have forwarded this to our development team and hopefully this will be fixed in a future version of Advanced Installer.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention!

Best regards,
Catalin
SimHorizon

Hi Catalin,

Ok, not great news as I need a solution today.

Will other no "surface" themes work correctly? ... actually EDIT, none of your other Theme options provide for adding my company Logo so it's surface or Enterprise version which I can't afford right now.

Cheers, Rob.
Catalin

Hello Rob,

Please note that this is not directly related to the theme, but to the "Enhanced User Interface" option.

It is true, indeed, that this option is automatically enabled in your project when the "Surface" theme is used.

However, I may have found a way to work this around.

Could you please go to "Themes" page --> "Settings" tab --> set EUI to "Only on install"?

This way, on uninstall, you should be prompted if you either want the files to be removed or not.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
SimHorizon

Hi Catalin,

Unfortunately your solution didn't work ... changing the "Theme" | "Settings" | "Only on install" produced this:

Catalin

Hello Rob,

You are indeed, right!

It looks like I forgot about this case when I was investigating/testing to offer you a solution.

Please accept my apologies for that!

I'm afraid the only thing we can do now is to wait for the developer team to further investigate this.

Best regards,
Catalin
SimHorizon

I'm about to purchase the Enterprise upgrade, would that be sufficient feature set to resolve my current situation?

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: I seem unable to get back to where I was originally ... like it or not I have the screen above even when I go back to "Always (install, uninstall and maintenance)" option for the Theme.
Catalin

Hello Rob,
EDIT: I seem unable to get back to where I was originally ... like it or not I have the screen above even when I go back to "Always (install, uninstall and maintenance)" option for the Theme.
The reason you are seing that may not be from the fact that you have set "Enhanced User Interface" to "Only on install".

In fact, I have just tested this and everything worked as expected when the EUI was set to "Only on install".

OnlyOnInstall.png
OnlyOnInstall.png (19.01 KiB) Viewed 5788 times
Maintenance.png
Maintenance.png (62.08 KiB) Viewed 5788 times

I have seen just now that your screenshot looked a little bit off. Is it, by any chance, that you are trying to build an MSI package?

If that is the case, please note that the "Surface" theme requires the "Enhanced User Interface" and the latter requires an EXE package.
I'm about to purchase the Enterprise upgrade, would that be sufficient feature set to resolve my current situation?
If I understand it correctly, you would like to modify the setup's icon.

Please keep in mind that not all themes have the option to change only the icon.

But, for instance, if you have an image containing your icon, you can achieve what you need in the Professional version as well by changing the "Dialog Bitmap" and "Banner Bitmap" images from the "Themes" page.

"Classic" theme --> "Puzzle" with changed "Dialog Bitmap":
ClassicThemePuzzle.png
ClassicThemePuzzle.png (778.3 KiB) Viewed 5788 times

Hope things are clearer now. Please let me know if you have any other questions and I will gladly assist.

Best regards,
Catalin
SimHorizon

Hi Catalin,

I was able to get back to where I needed to be but it was odd:

My install project is an EXE
On Theme: Always (install, uninstall and maintenance)
On Product Details: Re

I don't like the HUGE 3 button defaults hence when I wanted to not show them.

Cheers, Rob.
Catalin

Hello Rob,

That's great news!

I am glad you were able to get back on track.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin

Hello Rob,

This has been fixed in version 18.1 of Advanced Installer, released on March 23rd, 2021.

Best regards,
Catalin
SimHorizon

Hi Catalin,

Unfortunately this is NOT working for me on version 18.2 (Pro not enterprise).

I don't get prompted per the Theme I was using (BlackSurface). Here is my setup:
UninstallPrompting1.jpg
UninstallPrompting1.jpg (64.13 KiB) Viewed 4682 times
UninstallPrompting2.jpg
UninstallPrompting2.jpg (55.47 KiB) Viewed 4682 times
UninstallPrompting3.jpg
UninstallPrompting3.jpg (169.66 KiB) Viewed 4682 times
Thoughts?

Cheers, Rob.
SimHorizon

UPDATE:

When I try to edit the AI project and right click on my folder "Sim Horizon" I get an error:
UninstallPrompting5.jpg
UninstallPrompting5.jpg (276.62 KiB) Viewed 4680 times
I do get prompted to "keep settings data" and when I select yes it does retain my Application Data Sim Horizon folders but removes all of my folder/data from Documents\Sim Horizon ...

Based on the error you see in AI above, it seems to get confused that I have two folders "Sim Horizon" being identified for "Uninstall Cleanup".

Sadly it seems this bug is still very much present in 18.2

Cheers, Rob.

Return to “Common Problems”