pforsbom

"Windows can cannot access the specified device" when I try to uninstall

Hi
I have created an installer that seems to work fine om my local PC.
When i distribute it to a server it also installs fine. If I try to uninstall or modify via "Apps & Fetaures" I get an error message:
"c:\windows\system32\msiexec.exe"
"Windows can cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

The user I am logged in with is a local administrator.

If I launch the msi package again then I am able to Modify, Repair and Remove without problems.
Any ideas what can cause this?
Catalin

Re: "Windows can cannot access the specified device" when I try to uninstall

Hello,

As you can see, the message is thrown by the Operating System and by the look of it, it is a permission issue.

From what I can see, however, some people have encountered this issue as well when trying to uninstall their programs from the "Add or Remove programs", while everything worked just fine when trying to uninstall the program from the "Control Panel".

Unfortunately, the cause is unknown, therefore I can not really say why this is happening.

Could you please try to remove your setup from the Control Panel and see if it works?

Normally, I do not see why (and how) the "uninstall" method would differ between the two, but it looks that in some cases it does.

The next thing I would do is checking the permissions on the "system32" folder and make sure you have the required permissions to achieve the task (even though this should not be a problem since you are an administrator).

Hope this helps somehow!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
wago

I also receive this message when trying to uninstall Protonmail Bridge. How do i get the program uninstalled? i am logged in as administrator, and i tried rebooting and continue to receive this message. Thanks
wago

Well I just decided to manually delete the C:\ProgramData\Caphyon directory, and the ProtoBridge program and data directories. Obviously that's not the way to uninstall windows programs but I'm guessing i use MS Windows about 10 minutes per month on average? Maybe less. So if it's torqued or tainted then it probably won't bother me anyways. However, this sort of issue should be resolved I think? A regular user wouldn't be happy about it.
Catalin

Hello and welcome to our forums,

First of all, thank you for your feedback on this.

I'd say the problem here is related to the machine itself, rather than to Advanced Installer.

I have just downloaded "ProtoMail Bridge" on a clean machine, installed and then removed it through "Add or remove programs" and everything worked as expected.

ProtonMailUninstall.png
ProtonMailUninstall.png (114.12 KiB) Viewed 3337 times

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”