Ben-Floris

Need help with a 32/64bit installer...

Hail:

Every so often i come across a program that has both bit versions onboard, but have a single installer (probably a container in which 2 other installers are present).
Having a 64bit PC with 64bit OS, these one-installer-for-both-versions ALWAYS seem to prefer the 32bit over the offered option of 64bit installation, which drives me totally insane.

Mind, I have Aspergers, and I am an OCD perfectionist.
Having a program running 32bit on a 64bit system, while the program has a 64bit counterpart but simply opted to NOT install the most logical one, just cannot be.

4 days ago, I had this AGAIN with a program that I bought: Raxco Perfect Disk.
1 installer that has both 32- and 64bit on board, but went for 32bit installation.
Which made me so angry, I took my Windows Install stick and did a clean installation... (and in my anger I forgot to put all important things that I had not yet set over to my Data system (16TB worth on internal drives) which will cost me quite a bit of misery... :(

Now, having explained my problem, and my personal issues with these things, I come to the question:
Is there a command line or something that I can use, to make similar bi-version installers to FORCE to pick the right version to install, please?
Since... sadly... this is not the first time similar as this happened to me... :(

I asked around, googled for answers, but to no avail, and many seem to think I am either trolling them, or trolling them...
No one understands where this anger comes from when these things happen, but it IS truth, and I cannot help it...

Please... help me... (if that is even possible in this situation, considering I never found an answer anywhere over an extensive period of time).

Thank you.
Ben
Catalin

Re: Need help with a 32/64bit installer...

Hello Ben and welcome to our forums,

I am not quite sure how this is related to Advanced Installer.

Please note that Advanced Installer is a Windows installer authoring tool for installing, updating, and configuring your products (a tool that can create those setups you are mentioning).

We do, indeed, have an option for creating a mixed 32/64bit package. However, when that setup is installed, the package type is selected according to the OS bitness (e.g. if it's a 32-bit OS, the 32-bit version will be installed).

However, what you are asking here can not have a general answer. It is up to each package developer to decide that. With that being said, you would be better off asking the support team of the respective software for a command line that can achieve what you need.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”