tpatke

Start Menu / File Associations

Hi,

I have an installer which installs a Start Menu folder as well as a file association. Everything works great.

A customer noticed that if the Start Menu folder is renamed after installation, the file association is broken. Windows prompts with "Please wait while Windows configures ... Gathering required information... ". Then, Windows recreates the missing Start Menu folder and shortcut and continues on as normal.

I have tried resetting the file association manually within Windows, but this produces the same result -> Windows prompts and creates the folder and shortcut.

If I start the program up directly (without a file association) everything works fine, but the file association remains broken. If I try the same exercise with another program (Notepad++) everything is fine.

Not sure what the problem could be. Maybe I have something configured incorrectly in the installer?

Thanks in advance,

Toby
Catalin

Re: Start Menu / File Associations

Hello Toby,

Unfortunately, I can not really say what this is happening.

However, judging by your description, I am assuming that in the "Start Menu" folder, you are installing a shortcut to your application. And by the looks of it, this shortcut seems to be an "advertised shortcut"
When an advertised shortcut is launched, Windows Installer validates that all the components which are included in the same feature as the shortcut feature are installed by checking if their keypaths are actually installed on the device. If any is missing, it will fix it by running the installation package and installing again all resources from the .msi file.
In order for me to further investigate this, could you please forward me the following resources:

- a copy of the .AIP file

- a download link for the setup so I can install it and test the scenario

- a sample file that your application can open so I can test the file association before and after renaming the folder

by e-mail at support at advancedinstaller dot com?

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
tpatke

Thanks for the quick reply.

"Advertised Shortcut" certainly sounds like the problem. I will investigate this further before sending over files, but I have checked and the shortcuts are not marked as advertised in the "Edit Shortcut Properties" window. I can also see no 'advertised' references in the AIP files.

Any tips where the configuration might be?

We are at a point in the release cycle where I am not able to easily test releases, but I will let you know if I discover something.

Thanks again,

Toby
Catalin

Hello Toby,

This is quite strange, indeed.

The description sounds like an advertised shortcut is used, however it seems to not be your case.
the shortcuts are not marked as advertised in the "Edit Shortcut Properties" window. I can also see no 'advertised' references in the AIP files.
Any tips where the configuration might be?
The only option should be in the "Edit Shortcut Properties" dialog.
We are at a point in the release cycle where I am not able to easily test releases, but I will let you know if I discover something.
Sure, please do let me know if you are able to find anything. If not, please forward me the resources requested above so I can further investigate this.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”