hovedsjef

Firewall ports to download license

Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:20 am

Hello,

We have a license server with a floating license running well today, but since our company is transferring to another data center, I need to transfer the license server with the floating license it serves over to the new server at the other data center. This data center requests that I specify which specific address and port number I need to access in order to download and activate the license on the new server. I am aware of the possibility to do activation via mail, but find it more convenient if I can still do it online.

I suspect the address/port number might be standard web HTTP port 80 access to *.advancedinstaller.com, but would rather like to have it right the first time when I request access by the data center admins.

So - what are the firewall details I should provide them so that I can register the floating license on the new server?

(I am aware that I also need them to open the port number I want the license server to run at for our internal users - that is not what this question is about).

Eusebiu

Re: Firewall ports to download license

Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:48 pm

Hello,

Yes, when an online registration is performed for Advanced Installer the server accessed is "www.advancedinstaller.com" with the default HTTP port.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

hovedsjef

Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:55 pm

Thanks for the reply. I have had advancedinstaller.com web access opened on the server's firewall and I'm communicating with advancedinstaller.com addresses now. However, the license registration still stalls, as far as I can see from Wireshark because in the process even this address is being called too: ec2-54-157-32-108.compute-1.amazonaws.com - does this too have to be added to the firewall then? Is there some more addresses than that as well?

Eusebiu

Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:40 pm

Hi,

I apologize for the delayed reply.

As far as I can tell, no other address should be called during the registration process of Advanced Installer. Are you sure that you do not have any proxy installed on your network which filter the network access to our web server.

Best regards,
Eusebiu

hovedsjef

Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:19 pm

There's no proxy installed, but there is a firewall installed that generally prevents internet access for this server. It has been opened for HTTP/HTTPS traffic to *.advancedinstaller.com, and that makes the webpage accessible from a browser, but not the activation of the license. Worst case I'll have to request activation via mail, but I'd rather have the connection open, so that I'm free to deactivate and move around the license again without involving our IT services next time again.

However, I did some more investigating. Since one of the IP addresses advancedinstaller.com resolves to in DNS is 54.157.32.108 and the address requested while attempting license activation is ec2-54-157-32-108.compute-1.amazonaws.com (i.e. an address referencing that IP address), which also resolves to 54.157.32.108 if you look it up on nslookup, so it seems that you have your web services located at Amazon, and that it identifies itself as the amazonaws.com address rather than the advancedinstaller.com when replying. That answer would of course be blocked by the firewall on my end, while still being perfectly normal.

If I find out more, I'll update this thread so others with this problem may be informed. Hoping you at Caphyon can confirm/deny the above - maybe the solution is as simple as even allowing the amazonaws.com address through the firewall?

Thanks
Vidar aka Hovedsjef

Eusebiu

Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:23 am

Hello Vidar,

Indeed, our web site is hosted by Amazon. We have not had this reported in the past, but maybe allowing amazonaws.com address through the firewall would help.

Best regards,
Eusebiu

Return to “Common Problems”