DmytroYudin

Uninstall Cleanup doesn't work if app is uninstalled from Windows Apps and Features window

Our app creates some user files in %APPDATA% folder which we would like to remove if user chooses so during uninstall process.

I followed instructions given in this thread.
But it only works if launching the Uninstall from the Start menu. Start menu contains an .LNK file which does a call to C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msiexec.exe, which then runs a file like C:\Windows\Installer\234234.msi.

But when using Windows - Settings - Apps & Features window and doing an uninstall from there, a file C:\ProgramData\Caphyon\Advanced Installer\{24AFA862-FFBA-4996-9E7F-97C025ABCA6C}\MyProgramm.exe is executed. And it doesn't ask if you want to delete user files.

Am I missing some setting or how can I make it ask user if they want to delete all app files?
Catalin

Re: Uninstall Cleanup doesn't work if app is uninstalled from Windows Apps and Features window

Hello and welcome to our forums,

I've encountered a similar issue to yours in the past (which I have already reported), but it is not quite the same.

I have run some tests on my end, but unfortunately due to not enough information on this issue, I was not quite able to reproduce it.

In order for me to further investigate this, could you please forward me a step-by-step test case which I can follow in order to reproduce this?

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
DmytroYudin

Re: Uninstall Cleanup doesn't work if app is uninstalled from Windows Apps and Features window

I was preparing a sample project for you and tested it on a VM.
The issue no longer reproduces for some reason.

The minor issue is that when using 'Windows - Settings - Apps & Features' window to uninstall our app the uninstaller never asks if user wants to keep the files. Uninstaller always deletes those files without asking.
Catalin

Hello,

Thank you for your followup on this!

I am glad to hear it works as expected now.

Regarding your inconvenience, could you please let me know what version of Advanced Installer you are using in order to build your project?

The issue I have mentioned in my last thread is related to your described behavior.

This looks to be a corner case we did not take into consideration.

Basically, we only offer two options for the Uninstall Cleanup:
  • Full UI
  • Basic UI

When EUI (Enhanced User Interface from "Themes" page --> "Settings" tab)is set to "Always", if you uninstall the product from Control Panel, the UI is not "Basic" anymore, but "Full". However, the "VerifyReadyDlg", where the checkbox should be added is skipped, therefore the prompt to delete the files is not spawned.

This issue has been fixed in version 18.1 of Advanced Installer (Advanced Installer 18.1 release notes - Uninstall cleanup misbehaves when EUI is used).

Best regards,
Catalin
DmytroYudin

I was using an older version of Advanced Installer, but I did the test on the latest version at the time of posting too.
Thank you for clarifying this information.

By the way,
I did't get any e-mail notifications about replies in this thread, even though I'm subscribed to it.
Catalin

Hello,

Thank you for your followup on this!

I am glad to hear everything works as expected now!
By the way,
I did't get any e-mail notifications about replies in this thread, even though I'm subscribed to it.
Regarding the above, this is quite strange.

If you go to your "User Control Panel", are you able to see that you are subscribed to this from thread, under "Manage Subscriptions"?

Additonally, could you please check your "Spam" inbox and make sure the e-mails did not end up there?

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Common Problems”