stevebates

Debugging automatic installer problems

Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:21 am

Hi,

I'm aware its possible to launch the installer from the command line and create a debug log however is it possible to debug automatic updater problems?

I have a package which needs to roll out to over 1,000 machines. I've found a basic log file in the ProgramData directory but thats mainly full of error messages saying it can't validate the SSL certificate. If I launch the update check from the program shortcut it downloads the installer but then spends all day on the "Installing update" screen and doesn't get any further.

If I install the package manually it tends to install but has various prompts flash up so I'm not sure if its getting stuck on one of these?

The package has been expanded since previous versions and it now does more than before including installing optional windows features and additional prerequisites.

Thanks,

Steve.

Catalin

Re: Debugging automatic installer problems

Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:38 pm

Hello Steve and welcome to our forums,

In order to launch the "Updater" with log file, you can use the following command line:

Code: Select all

/set loglevel <attributes>
Updater logging is disabled by default - you can run this command to enable it. This command line sets the Updater log level with the specified attributes. The log file is named "updater.log" and created in the folder where the updates are downloaded. You can combine the following attributes by separating them using the pipe character ("|") and enclosing them using quotes (e.g.: "Error|Debug"):

• Error - log errors
  • Trace - log user friendly updater actions
  • Debug - detailed information that helps debugging
  • Off - disable logging
More information about this can be found in our "Updater" article. In this article, you can also find the most common return codes of the Updater and what each means.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”