janisito

Windows firewall configuration fails

Hi,

We have a customer installing our software on three different Windows 2012 R2 servers. Everything works fine on two of them but the installation fails on the third server. It seems the Windows firewall fails to configure for some unknown reason and the installation is rolled back.

I have gathered the interesting part of a debug log from the failed installation. Could you please check the log and see if you could see what makes it fail?

Thank you,

Regards
Jan
Attachments
Log.txt
Debug log file
(4.27 KiB) Downloaded 212 times
Catalin

Re: Windows firewall configuration fails

Hello Jan,

Unfortunately, the provided log file does not give much information about why the setup is failing.

If possible, could you please run the setup on the faulty machine with a command line as it follows:

Code: Select all

setup.exe AI_DEBUGLOG=1 /L*V log.txt
and forward me that log file?

What I am thinking about at the moment is permissions of the user installing the product. Does the user have enough privileges to add the firewall rule?

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
janisito

Hi Catalin,

The user running the installer is administrator. The installer also has the "require administrator" checkbox checked.

The log I sent you was actually from an installation with the arguments "AI_DEBUGLOG=1 /L*V Log.txt".

Regards
Jan
Catalin

Hello Jan,

I have just noticed you have mentioned this:
I have gathered the interesting part of a debug log from the failed installation.
I thought the log file was not a debug one due to its' small size.

If possible, could you please forward me the full log? Maybe there is something in it that you have missed.

Best regards,
Catalin
janisito

Hi Catalin,

Since it was from a customer test environment I only got the part of the failure for privacy concerns.

Regards
Jan
Catalin

Hello Jan,

I'm afraid the provided part of the log does not really give us any useful details as to why the Firewall configuration fails (it simply states that it fails), this being the reason I have asked for a full log, perhaps I could find some more information in that.
Everything works fine on two of them but the installation fails on the third server.
Judging by this, it looks like the problem is related to the machine, rather than the setup package (since it works fine on two other machines).

On the machine where the setup fails, can the user create / edit a firewall rule?

It looks like some other users have also faced this issue in the past, however we were not quite able to reproduce this on our end. For more information, please have a look over the following thread:

Re: Error 4120. There was an error during the Windows Firewall configuration process.

The user from that thread also shared with us his solution to this very specific problem.

In the first page of the same thread, I have also presented a PowerShell approach for that, maybe that will be of help for you.

Best regards,
Catalin
janisito

Hi Catalin,

Thanks for your efforts. I'm not able to reproduce the issue in my own environment. I agree with the other reporter that it's a head scratcher and probably Windows related some how. I'll try his solution and see what goes. We can close this case for now.

Regards
Jan
Catalin

Hello Jan,

Thank you for your followup on this!

If you happen to find anything that might help us in this scenario, please feel free to share it with us.

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Common Problems”