SimHorizon

AppId?

Wed May 05, 2021 1:08 am

I'm deploying a .NET WPF application and using the Update Installer option. In the "Notification" section of my Update config file there is an option to "Enable notifications":
AppID1.jpg
AppID1.jpg (123.29KiB)Viewed 4052 times
Per documentation it requires a "AppId" entered in my Advanced Installer project:
AppID2.jpg
AppID2.jpg (183.88KiB)Viewed 4052 times
By default this is blank ... where does this value come from? Reading Microsoft's AppId documentation suggests this is a GUID. I can generate a GUID (all upper case) and enter it here, but will that work for Advanced Installers "Notification" process?

Cheers, Rob.

Catalin

Re: AppId?

Wed May 05, 2021 3:56 pm

Hello Rob,

My colleague Dan has created an article regarding this new specific feature of our Updater tool.

For more information, please refer to the following forum thread:

Send custom notifications in Windows using the Updater

In the above article, the AppId concept is also explained.

Hope that will help!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

SimHorizon

Wed May 19, 2021 10:23 pm

Hi Catalin,

Thanks for the response.

I'm a little confused by that article:

1. Expiration Date? Documentation says "The notification expires the day after the date specified." Is this so that I can setup a future date to display a notification message?

2. The AppID in your example has path information in addition to a GUID ... how can there be a hard coded path when users can configure their own installation paths during install of my app?

3. Is Image URL, Link, Link Button Text required?

4. If the notification is clicked on, does it launch the updater in standard mode?

Cheers, Rob.

Catalin

Tue May 25, 2021 2:22 pm

Hello Rob,
1. Expiration Date? Documentation says "The notification expires the day after the date specified." Is this so that I can setup a future date to display a notification message?
The "Expiration Date" simply means the notification will no longer be displayed after the specified date.
2. The AppID in your example has path information in addition to a GUID ... how can there be a hard coded path when users can configure their own installation paths during install of my app?
The "AppID" field is of formatted type, meaning you can use properties instead of a hardcoded path.

For instance, both "Caphyon" and "Demo App" can be seen in "Product Details" page. The properties that store those values would be [Manufacturer] and [ProductName].
3. Is Image URL, Link, Link Button Text required?
No, those fields are not mandatory.

Hope things are clearer now!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

SimHorizon

Tue May 25, 2021 4:34 pm

Excellent, thanks Catalin.

Cheers, Rob.

Catalin