rmugione7

Win Server 2016 reboot issue after Framework install

Wed May 05, 2021 4:09 pm

Hi
I've attached a project example with a problem only with Windows Server 2016. On Windows Server 2012 works as expected.

This project will install Fx 4.7.2 as a prerequisite.
It goes throgh the all process and at the end the fx msi says "Successfully installed"
I click on finish and then an errore says "Mandatory prerequisite not installed" and fails.

The same pack on Windows Server 2012 a popup asks to reboot immediatelly or to carry on.

Is this a Fx installer issue?

Regards
Ricardo
Attachments
TestWin2016AndFx472.aip
(20.31KiB)Downloaded 550 times
Last edited by rmugione7 on Tue May 11, 2021 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Catalin

Re: Win Server 2016 reboot issue after Fx install

Fri May 07, 2021 6:18 pm

Hello Ricardo,

This might happen if your prerequisite's install conditions are not fulfilled after the installation.

These conditions are configured in "Prerequisites" page --> your prerequisite --> "Install Conditions" tab.

These conditions are evaluated by your setup twice:

1- once before the prerequisite is installed. In this case, the conditions should be false (meaning that the prerequisite is not installed), resulting in the prerequisite being scheduled for installation

2- once after the prerequisite is installed. In this case, the conditions should be true (meaning that the prerequisite was correctly installed)

A way of testing this would be to manually install the prerequisite on your machine and checking whether the conditions are fulfilled.

For instance, let's say your prerequisites writes a registry value, e.g.:

Code: Select all

Name: Installed
Value: True
after it is installed. Let's also consider this as your install condition for your prerequisite.

Here, you can manually install the prerequisite and then check for that value. If the value does not exist, the setup will interpret the installation of the prerequisite as a failure.

Additionally, you can go to "Prerequisites" page --> your prerequisite --> "Properties" tab and check the "Continue with main installation even if the prerequisite was not installed" option. This way, the second check I have mentioned above (the check after the prerequisite is installed) will no longer be performed and therefore this message should no longer be encountered.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

rmugione7

Re: Win Server 2016 reboot issue after Fx install

Fri May 07, 2021 9:28 pm

I apologise, my description is not clear

"Fx" is the Framework .NET 4.7.2 added from the "Predefined Prerequisites" of Advanced Installer (see image).
The example project that I've attached in this discussion works on all Window except Windows Server 2016.
It lucks like that the bootstrapper does'nt reconize the reboot required condition.
Are you able to investigate and se if is the Framework installer fault?

Thanks
Ricardo
Frameword.png
Frameword.png (74.36KiB)Viewed 17419 times

Catalin

Re: Win Server 2016 reboot issue after Framework install

Wed May 12, 2021 4:05 pm

Hello Ricardo,

When you add the .NET Framework 4.7.2 to your package, the "Continue with main installation even if the prerequisite is not installed" option is checked by default.

From what I can see, you have manually disabled it in your project. Could you please enable it and let me know if it works as expected?

Even though that message appears, most likely the prerequisite was correctly installed (you can check this in Control Panel). As you probably noticed, .NET Framework requires a restart after its' installation so the registry is properly updated.

Best regards,
Catalin

rmugione7

Thu May 13, 2021 4:56 pm

Hello Catalin,

I was aware of that flag and the fact that disables the post install check.
When enabled the installer doesn't show any error but, also, it doesn't reboot.
I've just tested it now.

Reboot is mandatory for the subsequent packages to install (not present in this spike example).
Without it, many failures can occour like: COM or services registration or start failure.
And most of all "SQL Server" checks for a reboot state and fails if present.
We cannot enable that flag, the system must reboot after .NET installed to compleet the job.

The correct behaviour is like on Windows Server 2012.
Install .NET .... reboots .... and then the package restarts automatically and continues the following steps.

Important note:
Our real installer is unattended. There is no interaction with the user.

Thanks in advance for your help
Ricardo

Catalin

Wed May 19, 2021 5:06 pm

Hello Ricardo,

First of all, please accept my apologies for the delayed reply.

Thank you for your followup on this - your scenario is now clearer for me.

I have just created a new clean VM with WinServer 2016 and tested this scenario. After the installation of .NET Framework 4.7.2, the message box asking for a reboot appears:
RebootNET.png
RebootNET.png (402.8KiB)Viewed 17195 times

With that being said, I believe this might be related to your machine. Could you please test this on a clean machine and let me know if the behavior still persists?

Best regards,
Catalin

rmugione7

Wed May 19, 2021 6:16 pm

Thank you for your feedback.
My tests are always on clean installations.

Looking at your screenshot and your reply, I believe there is still some misuderstanding.

In your scenario you are assuming there is someone on the PC able to confirm the reboot, but I am talking about an unattended installation and an automatic reboot is required in our case.
If you have a look at my project, you will see what I mean and that it is not working as expected and it behaves differently than on Windows Server 2012

Ricardo

Catalin

Tue May 25, 2021 3:09 pm

Hello Ricardo,

Thank you for your followup on this.

I just noticed you have mentioned an unnatended installation.

You have previously mentioned the UI, therefore I thought the installation is with full UI:
I click on finish and then an errore says "Mandatory prerequisite not installed" and fails.
I have tested the same setup using the unnatended parameter, e.g.:

setup.exe /qn

and the machine rebooted as expected when the prerequisite finished installing.

What I noticed, however, is the fact that the prerequisite can not be installed if the "Server Manager" is opened (this happened in both full UI and unnatended installations). I can not really say why this is happening, but after closing it everything worked as expected.

Could you please let me know if the above is the case for you as well?

Best regards,
Catalin

rmugione7

Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:55 am

why don't you try the project I've attached?
I made it on purpose for You to easily replicate the bug

Read this thread from top to tow and follow how to replicate it.

Ricardo

Catalin

Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:51 pm

Hello Ricardo,
why don't you try the project I've attached?
I made it on purpose for You to easily replicate the bug
I did test using the provided project as well and it worked as expected on my end.

Just to double check this, I have rebuilt the project and retested this just now and it worked, the machine rebooted after the prerequisite installation as expected.

Most likely, I would say this is related to the machine where you are testing this. Could you please try testing this on multiple clean machines and see if you can reproduce it there as well?

Best regards,
Catalin

rmugione7

Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:17 pm

HI Catalin,

I've tried it again with AI 18.3 and Windows fully updated (including the Cumulative Update of June 2021) and I replicate it.
It can't be my machine the problem because many our customers have the problem.

At this stage I give up.
I'll find another way to override the issue.

Regards

Catalin

Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:25 pm

Hello Ricardo,

This is quite strange, indeed, as I have tested this on multiple machines as well and it worked on all of them.

Please let me know if there is anything else I could help you with and I will gladly assist.

Best regards,
Catalin

rmugione7

Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:50 pm

Happy to hear from you,

I think the node of this behaviour is the "Continue with main installation even if the prerequisite is not installed" flag.
We disable this (as you noticed on May 12 in this thread) because the installation must not continue after the framework has been updated.
The installer must reboot to fully terminate the framework install, and then, go ahead on the other steps.

In the project you use for testing, could you please check if this flag is disabled?

Thank you agnain
Ricardo

Catalin

Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:06 pm

Hello Ricardo,
In the project you use for testing, could you please check if this flag is disabled?
In my tests, I have been using the exact same .AIP file you have provided - and the answer is yes, the option was indeed disabled.

Below, you can see two screenshots of the results on my WinServer2016 machine after the reboot:
Successful install.png
Successful install.png (38.51KiB)Viewed 9755 times
Successful install2.png
Successful install2.png (127.49KiB)Viewed 9755 times

As you can see, both the product and the .NET Framework were installed. If there were to be any errors during the installation process, the product would not pop-up in Control Panel.

Please let me know if there is anything else I could help you with.

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Common Problems”