SimHorizon

How to uninstall if custom action fails?

I have a custom action setup to run an EXE on uninstall, unfortunately I didn't provide the fully qualified path so the Uninstall comes back with:
CustomActionProblem1.jpg
CustomActionProblem1.jpg (22.85 KiB) Viewed 2156 times
So I'm "stuck" with an not being able to uninstall my app ... any hints on how I can proceed other than manually hacking the registry to remove the entry?

FYI, it would be good to NOT have default behavior to prevent uninstall if custom action can't be completed ... it would make more sense to provide a user prompt to continue with the uninstall or exit.

Cheers, Rob.
Catalin

Re: How to uninstall if custom action fails?

Hello Rob,

In order to fix that, please follow our "How do I remove a broken installation?" FAQ.
FYI, it would be good to NOT have default behavior to prevent uninstall if custom action can't be completed ... it would make more sense to provide a user prompt to continue with the uninstall or exit.
Please note that this is the default behavior of the Control Panel Applet / Windows Installer and it can not be altered by us in any way.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
SimHorizon

Hi Catalin,

I think you mis-understood my post and/or I wasn't very clear in my post.

The default behavior I was referencing is here:
CustomActionDefaults.jpg
CustomActionDefaults.jpg (269.65 KiB) Viewed 2148 times
By default you folks have this "Checked" ... IMHO, it should be "Unchecked" by default.

Thanks for the link, very helpful! I was able to resolve the issue using an alternative methods, REVO Uninstaller but it's your link is the easier approach.

Cheers, Rob.
Catalin

Hello Rob,

Thank you for your followup on this! It's clear now for me what you meant in your previous thread.

I am glad you managed to solve this and that everything works as expected now!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”