vsb16

Re: Don't modify installed files on MSI Repair Option

Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:53 pm

Hello Catalin,

We have a very high priority for MSI Repair issue. Please reply as soon as possible.

Thanks & Best Regards,
Vishal

Catalin

Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:59 pm

Hello Vishal,

Please accept my apologies for the delayed reply (I have been off for a week).

This is currently under our investigation and I will follow you up as soon as I will reach a conclusion.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Catalin

Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:56 pm

Hello Vishal,

Thank you for your patience.

I have further investigated & tested this and I believe I found the culprit here.

First of all, when you input the hardcoded path in your search, the values are not changed because the path may not be correct. What I mean by this is the fact that your path contains whitespace characters (i.e. Program Files) and you might need to enclose it between double quote characters.

Regarding the first scenario, the reason why your values are reset is because the value of your properties are not kept during the Repair operation.

Basically, the search is performed and the setup will try to overwrite the already existing elements with the values from the properties, but the problem here is the fact that your properties are empty.

To avoid this, please check the "Set persistent property" for your properties (e.g. double click on the property --> check the option).

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin

vsb16

Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:58 pm

Hello Catalin,

Thanks for your help.

I had already tried "Set persistent property" approach & it works fine for the empty AI properties.

But below test case won't work-

1)Set AI properties as persistent which are taken through UI.
2)Let PORT_NUMBER is my empty AI property whose value set to 1234 during first time install.
3)Now after installation, configuration file should contain node for Port Number with value 1234.
4)Registry also contains PORT_NUMBER property with value 1234.
5)MSI Repair will work fine & configuration file would be same.
6)Now if I edit configuration file manually and change port number node value to 1250.
7)Now MSI repair will change port number node value to 1234(Registry value) & ultimately my previous node value changed from 1250 to 1234.
8)Thus Repair will change my configuration file.

How can I handle above situation of manual editing of configuration file ?

Can I track Repair actions(Maintenance Repair & Right Click Repair) in .aip project such that I could use some custom action or logic not to modify configuration file ?

After Repair configuration file should be same though .aip project contains empty property values or other property values than corresponding current configuration file node values.

Thanks & Best Regards,
Vishal

Catalin

Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:42 pm

Hello Vishal,

I am glad to hear it works as expected now.

Regarding the new scenario, that is the expected behavior and I do not think it can be changed.

What I mean is that there is no way for your setup package to know the user has manually modified the configuration file, because that is an outside process.

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Common Problems”