andre.silva-wdg

Problems with setting .net framework 4.8 as mandatory prerequisite.

Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:39 pm

Hello, I configured .Net Framework 4.8 as a mandatory prerequisite, so that the user does not have the possibility to uncheck the option.
When I try to install the product for the first time, it is identified that the machine does not have the requirement and the installation is done.
After some time processing an error message is displayed saying the requirement was not installed correctly!
I close the install and try to install again and the requirement appears as installed.
Would you like to know the reason for this?

Problem occurs in:
VM Windows Server 2016 Standard

Catalin

Re: Problems with setting .net framework 4.8 as mandatory prerequisite.

Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:16 pm

Hello Andre,

After the .NET installation, are you restarting the machine?

Please note that, by default, .NET Framework requires a reboot after its' installation.

As you may already know, there are two checks that we are doing for prerequisites:

- one check before the prerequisite is installed --> its' condition must be false => the prerequisite will be installed

- once after the prerequisite is installed --> its' condition must be true => the prerequisite was correctly installed

In your case:
I configured .Net Framework 4.8 as a mandatory prerequisite
by mandatory I believe you have unchecked the "Continue with main installation even if the prerequisite was not installed" option.

In this case, the second check is done (if the option is uncheched, the second check is not done).

In the case of .NET Framework prerequisite, the check is done through a registry search. If I'm not mistaken, the registry is updated only after a reboot, in case of a .NET Framework installation.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

andre.silva-wdg

Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:34 pm

Hello Catalin!
This even leaves the option "Continue with main installation even if the prerequisite was not installed" unchecked so that the requirement is mandatory otherwise my system will not work!
I figured that was it, that as soon as the error occurs and the installation is aborted, when I restart the machine and install again the prerequisite appears as installed.
There is no workaround for this?

Catalin

Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:32 pm

Hello Andre,

Unfortunately, this is how the .NET Framework installer was developed (most prerequisites do not behave the same) and therefore not many workarounds are available.

A solution I can think of would be forcing a machine reboot right after the prerequisite was installed through the "Reboot system after installing this prerequisite" option set to "Always".

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”