nchounlapane

Post-Install pre-requisites not installing on basic install

Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:52 pm

Advanced Installer version: 18.3
Enterprise

In my aip project, I have a few prerequisites listed under post-install of the prerequisites tab. They install normally through Full UI installation. However, if I execute the installer as a Basic installation, the post-install prerequisites do not get installed at all even though the main installation installs fine. The command I run to execute basic installation is the following (powershell):

Code: Select all

.\app.exe /qb /passive

Here are the parameters and troubleshooting that I've done:

-Each prerequisite Install Command Lines are set with /qb /passive (and various install parameter assignment) for Basic UI
-Table Editor > CustomAction > AI_LaunchChainer type value was updated to 1266
-Installation Behavior (within Organization) is set to Not Installed with a condition check for Installed if: (The condition is simply checking the value of an install parameter)
-Everything was ran as admin

My question is how are we able to install post-install prerequisites on a Basic installation?

Links I have referenced:
viewtopic.php?t=35929
https://www.advancedinstaller.com/user- ... uestion123
https://www.advancedinstaller.com/user- ... uestion127

-Nick

Catalin

Re: Post-Install pre-requisites not installing on basic install

Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:44 pm

Hello Nick,

This is quite strange, indeed.

I have run few tests on my end using two setups created with Advanced Installer (both the EXE and the MSI added as prerequisite) and everything worked as expected.

Could you please give me some more details about your scenario? For instance, what prerequisite are you adding as a post-install prerequisite?

Even better, could you please create a sample project that reproduces this and forward it to me so I can further investigate its' settings?
Installation Behavior (within Organization) is set to Not Installed with a condition check for Installed if: (The condition is simply checking the value of an install parameter)
Here, please make sure that the property has the required value, even without the dialogs stage. For instance, if the property is set to the required value during dialogs stage, then the prerequisite may not be installed because during a basic UI installation the dialogs stage is skipped and therefore the property may not be set accordingly.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

nchounlapane

Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:30 pm

Catalin,

I've sent a sample project to the support email of what I'm trying to achieve with our main project. The sample project does work as intended so I guess my next question is that is there any install parameters or other settings that would halt the post-installation of prerequisites on a basic installation?

Edit: I forgot to mention that our main project was upgraded from version 16.7. I would think that upgrading to the latest version would fix our issue but it didn't.

Nick

nchounlapane

Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:03 pm

I might have a workaround to the issue. My main project calls a custom action via attached native DLL that sets certain install parameters. After switching back to setting install parameters via powershell inline script, it works. Seems unusual that it only works that way but it is something I would have to do from hear on out.

Thanks,
Nick

Catalin

Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:19 pm

Hello Nick,

Thank you very much for your followup on this and for sharing your solution with us.

I am glad to hear everything worked as expected in the end.

The workaround for this seems indeed strange, because:
is there any install parameters or other settings that would halt the post-installation of prerequisites on a basic installation?
I do not think there are any parameters that would make a post-install prerequisite not install (unless the installation of prerequisite is conditioned by that parameter).

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”