Bill

Upgrading multiple instances created with generate instances at installation time

I found this post from 2012 that mostly matches my problem, however the solution does not work for me: viewtopic.php?t=39783

I have created an installer using Enterprise edition that permits the user to create multiple instances with “Generate instances at installation time.” After the user has installed two instances, I create a newer version of the installer that should allow the user to update the instances. When the user updates the first instance, all is well. When updating the second one, they get the error that “The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.” It references the path to the folder where the first instance MSI and CAB file are located.

I went to Builds and changed the “Extract location” to [AppDataFolder][|Manufacturer]\[|ProductName]\install as the reference forum solution suggested. I also checked “Do not delete extracted MSI and CAB files.”

If the user first updates the second instance instead of the first, then it appears to go fine, however it actually updates the first. Then when the user attempts to update the first instance, it appears to work fine. But in the end only the first instance was every updated.

It does not appear that the values in “Extract location” is going to find the MSI and CAB files associated with the second instance, only the first. I tried using [APPDIR] in “extract location,” but that does not get resolved to the pathname, or does any property I create with the proper path to the second instance’s MSI and CAB files.

How is this supposed to work?
Catalin

Re: Upgrading multiple instances created with generate instances at installation time

Hello Bill and welcome to our forums,

From what I can see, my colleague Dan has answered you over the email.

Please let me know if there is anything else I could help you with and I will gladly assist.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”