lauren.williams

Updater failed

Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:09 pm

Having some issues with the auto updater.

I've got the check working correctly, however when it installs the upgraded version it appears to upgrade but show an 'Update failed' message at the end of the process.

It is set to check the registry value which appears to be correct.
updater registry.png
updater registry.png (9.6KiB)Viewed 5145 times
registry.png
registry.png (12.79KiB)Viewed 5145 times
I also need to get it to keep some files during the upgrade, as it hosts it's own database which needs to stay intact.
One of these is not included in the app, but is downloaded via api within the app, they are both in the same location.

I can't seem to see how I can do this.

Any help of both of these issues would be great.

Catalin

Re: Updater failed

Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:32 pm

Hello Lauren and welcome to our forums,

The search seems indeed to be correct.

Please note, however, that the check is done twice.

For the first time, the check is done before the update is installed. Here, the check should be false, meaning that the update is not installed ==> installing the update.

After that, if the "Do not try to detect if the update was installed" option is not checked (from the "Update Installed Detection" tab), the same check will be done once again, this time the setup expecting the check to return true, meaning that the update was installed.

If the Updater has returned that the installation failed, despite it being installed as expected, then perhaps the second check failed. With that being said, please make sure the registry key contains the right value after the update was installed.
I also need to get it to keep some files during the upgrade, as it hosts it's own database which needs to stay intact.
One of these is not included in the app, but is downloaded via api within the app, they are both in the same location.
Regarding this, please have a look over the following article which should help:

How do I prevent a file or registry entry from being uninstalled or repaired?

Hope this will help!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”