Voriki

Changing copy and frequency for reboot message boxes

Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:47 pm

Hello!

We've enabled prompts to reboot the computer following an installation. During the process, some users still have the application running in the background, making a similar prompt to the one below show up twice during the installation:

And then after the installation, a prompt similar to the following shows up:

I was wondering if:
  • The copy on either of these prompts can be changed? I can't see an option to change them in Advanced Installer
  • The first prompt, which shows up two times during the installer, can be set to only show up once. It seems silly to show the user the same prompt two times

Thank you for any help!

Voriki

Re: Changing copy and frequency for reboot message boxes

Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:12 pm

Bumping this in case it got lost. Is there any official note from Advanced Installer on this?

Catalin

Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:33 pm

Hello,

First of all, please accept my apologies for the delayed reply.

The first dialog is displayed by a Windows Installer standard action - "InstallValidate"
The InstallValidate action also notifies the user if one or more files to be overwritten or removed are currently in use by an active process. For more information, see System Reboots.
This could be avoided by detecting the process that keeps the file in use and stopping it. More details about this in our "How to detect or stop a process" article.

In what regards the second prompt, as you could see, that is not triggered by your setup, but rather by a prerequisite of yours.
The copy on either of these prompts can be changed? I can't see an option to change them in Advanced Installer
Could you please give me some more details about this, as I am not quite sure I understand the question?

If by your question you meant modifying the UI of the prompt, then I'm afraid that might not be possible.
The first prompt, which shows up two times during the installer, can be set to only show up once. It seems silly to show the user the same prompt two times
As I have previously mentioned, the prompt is triggered by a standard action. These actions are proprietary to Windows Installer and I'm afraid we can not really affect their outcome.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Voriki

Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:21 pm

Thanks Catalin, that answers it!

Catalin

Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:54 pm

You are always welcome!