tscheuerman

Message not displaying when custom launch condition is not met

Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:47 pm

Hello,

I am using Advanced Installer 17.6 and am attempting to run my installer on Windows 10 x64. The functionality that I am expecting did work in a prior release of Advanced Installer.

I have a custom launch condition that attempts to determine if a prior version of my application is currently installed. The launch condition uses a custom action provided in a dll. If a prior version is detected a message should be displayed and the installation aborted. Rather than seeing the custom message associated with the Custom Launch Condition, the Fatal Error dialog displays. I can see in the Advanced Installer log file my custom action being called and correctly determining that a prior version exists. The return value of the custom action call is 1.

Begin CustomAction_CheckForPriorAcuityVersion
MSI (c) (84!B8) [09:46:23:598]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Deleting PRIOR_ACUITY_VER property. Its current value is ' '.
Acuity version to install: Acuity 7.30 SP3
OS is 64 bit
Registry Key: SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\TCS Healthcare Technologies
Registry Key: SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\TCS Healthcare Technologies found.
Sub-Key: Acuity 7.30 SP2 found.
Prior Acuity version found.
MSI (c) (84!B8) [09:46:23:602]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Modifying PRIOR_ACUITY_VER_FOUND property. Its current value is 'N'. Its new value: 'Y'.
MSI (c) (84!B8) [09:46:23:602]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding PRIOR_ACUITY_VER property. Its value is 'Acuity 7.30 SP2'.
End CustomAction_CheckForPriorAcuityVersion
Action ended 9:46:23: CustomAction_CheckForPriorAcuityVersion. Return value 1.

And later in the log file I see the text of the message that I am expecting to be displayed when the Launch condition runs however it has a return value of 3 which is handled as a fatal error..

Action start 9:46:23: LaunchConditions.
MSI (c) (84:EC) [09:46:23:705]: Product: Acuity 7.30 SP3 -- Acuity 7.30 SP2 is currently installed. You must first uninstall this version before Acuity 7.30 SP3 can be installed.
Action ended 9:46:23: LaunchConditions. Return value 3.
MSI (c) (84:EC) [09:46:23:706]: Doing action: FatalError

Just to be clear, the intent of the custom launch condition is to determine if a prior version of my application is installed and if so, display a message to the user and abort the installation. I am not sure what is preventing the message from being displayed to the user and subsequently causing the Fatal Error dialog to display.

I have provide a copy of the installation log file and the aip file.

Thanks,
Todd
Attachments
Acuity 7.30 SP3.aip
Advanced Installer Project File
(138.51KiB)Downloaded 284 times
MSIA178.LOG
Installation Log File
(46.63KiB)Downloaded 295 times

Catalin

Re: Message not displaying when custom launch condition is not met

Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:28 pm

Hello Todd,

Unfortunately, I can not say for sure why this happens.

In order for me to further test and investigate this, could you please forward me the following resources by e-mail at support at advancedinstaller dot com:

- a download link for the older setup (the SP2 setup)

- a download link for the newer setup (the SP3 setup)

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

tscheuerman

Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:10 pm

Hi Catalin,

As you requested I've provided a copy of both SP2 and SP3 advanced installer projects (and the base advanced installer project). I am able to see the functionality I am looking for (i.e. a dialog displaying at time of installation when a prior version (Acuity 7.30) is currently installed) when I do the following:

- On a clean machine where software has never been installed (i.e. Acuity 7.30) I install Acuity 7.30.
- Attempt to run Acuity 7.30 SP2. A dialog box is displayed indicating that Acuity 7.30 is currently installed and that it must first be uninstalled before Acuity 7.30 SP2 can be installed.

The same check needs to occur when the user attempts to run the Acuity 7.30 SP3 installer.

Thanks in advance,
Todd
Attachments
Acuity 7.30.aip
Base Product (Install #1)
(134.56KiB)Downloaded 267 times
Acuity 7.30 SP3.aip
SP3 (Install #3)
(138.51KiB)Downloaded 295 times
Acuity 7.30 SP2.aip
SP2 (Install #2)
(144.27KiB)Downloaded 276 times

Catalin

Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:34 am

Hello Todd,

Please accept my apologies for the delayed reply, I had some days off recently.

From what I can see, my colleague Dan has helped you over the e-mail and everything works as expected now.

Please let us know if there is anything else we could help you with and we will be glad to assist.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”