JordyMeng2

Exit EXE Bootstrapper so it continues with the MSI Package

Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:49 pm

Hi,

Is there a way to to exit the EXE Bootstrapper, for example when you are installing pre-install prerequisites, so it then continues to the MSI Package?
I have an installer which installs SQL Server 2019 which needs to be a pre-install prerequisite because it cannot be installed as a feature based prerequisite (because two MSI executables cannot be open at the same time). But before the PrerequisitesDlg I want to create a dialog with 3 radio buttons containing:
- Install SQL Server 2019
- Use your own instance
- Only install the workspace

If someone selects the "Use your own instance" radio button it has to skip the PrerequisiteDlg and close the EXE Bootstrapper so it continues with the MSI Package. Within the MSI Package I have the SQLServerConnectionDlg which then needs to be filled in. But currently I see no way to exit or skip over the pre-install Prerequisite installation when inside of one of the EXE Bootstrapper dialogs. Is there a way to exit the EXE Bootstrapper or skip to the first dialog in the MSI Package? Thanks in advance.

Jordy

Catalin

Re: Exit EXE Bootstrapper so it continues with the MSI Package

Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:07 pm

Hello Jordy and welcome to our forums,

Your request basically comes down to conditonally installing a pre-install prerequisite.

Unfortunately, this is not possible. The only prerequisite that can be conditionally installed are the "feature-based" and the "post-install" prerequisites.

This is also highlighted in our "How to conditionally install a prerequisite based on the user selection?" article.

You could do something like hiding the "PrerequisiteDlg" dialog from the "Pre-install UI" (by right clicking on the dialog --> "Show only if..."), but this would not stop the installation of the prerequisite.

Please let me know if there is anything else I could help you with and I will gladly assist.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

JordyMeng2

Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:51 am

Hello Catalin,

Thank you for your answer. Unfortunately it isn't an option for me to use the post-install option for SQL Server 2019. The feature-based uption doesn't work with SQL Server 2019 so I am back to the drawing table.

The next thing I am going to try is to disable the checkbox named "Run package only from EXE Bootstrapper, prevent running from MSI Package" located in the Launch Condition tab. After that I am going to locate the MSI which is located in the %appdata%\Roaming folder and execute the MSI installer manually while closing the EXE Bootstrapper by using a "Close current dialog" custom action.

Hopefully by using this method I can skip the installation of the prerequisites and manually open the MSI installer and continue from there. I will keep you updated on my progress.

Have a good day.

Jordy

Catalin

Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:25 pm

Hello Jordy,

Thank you for your followup on this and for sharing your solution with us.

To be fully honest with you, I can not say for sure whether this will work or not.

One piece of advice I could give here is to make sure you are not using anything that requires the "Enhanced User Interface" option.

For instance, one example would be using any theme other than the "Classic" ones. These themes requires the "Enhanced User Interface" option in order to be rendered, and the latter requires the EXE bootstrapper (it is not available in the MSI).

Best regards,
Catalin

JordyMeng2

Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:57 pm

Hi Catalin,

Thank you for sharing that information.

Just like you said happened with my attempt. It managed to open the MSI installer but we are using multiple options which require the Enhanced User Interface option so when opening the MSI we saw that each dialog looked different and kind of unstyled.

So that won't be an option for us either. Unfortunately there isn't any other option for us to get to the solution we need. I will keep thinking about it but thank you for the information so far.

Jordy

Catalin

Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:29 pm

You are always welcome, Jordy!
I will keep thinking about it but thank you for the information so far.
Could you please have a look over the following article:

Why does the SQL Server installation hangs?

and try the solution presented there?

From my previous tests, this works as expected with the versions stated in the article. However, I have to admit I did not test this with a newer version of SQL Server.

If this will work, then the conditional installation should be pretty easy. I will explain how to achieve that if we can confirm it works.

Best regards,
Catalin

JordyMeng2

Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:15 pm

Could you please have a look over the following article:

Why does the SQL Server installation hangs?

and try the solution presented there?

This indeed works! By adding the /SkipInstallerRunCheck parameter to the command line option the installation of SQL Server 2019 Express Advanced will now work as a Feature-based prerequisite. This way I can add a condition to the feature in the Organization page so it only installs when a certain checkbox will be selected.

Now I have a way to rebuild our installer the way I wanted. You have been a great help, Catalin. Thank you for all the information.
Have a good day! :)

Jordy

Catalin

Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:53 pm

You are always welcome, Jordy!

I am really glad I was able to help. :D

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Common Problems”