AndyL

PkgMgr.exe access denied

Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:17 pm

On a particular environment we're getting the following error message from our installer - I think when the installer is trying to configure IIS or .NET.:

Windows Package Manager

Note: PkgMgr.exe has been deprecated. Please update your scripts to use DISM.exe to install, uninstall, configure and update features and packages for Windows.
See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=195329 for more information.
Operation failed with 0x80070005
Access is denied.

I think the stuff about PkgMgr.exe being deprecated is probably not relevant to the issue. I've bolded the part that I think is telling us what's really going on: PkgMgr.exe is getting or causing an Access Denied error.

On this environment, we know that a security policy is in place that blocks all executables and scripts running under the C:\users\ path. Does Advanced Installer run PkgMgr.exe, or something else related, from a location inside a user profile? If so, is there a way we can change that location?

Catalin

Re: PkgMgr.exe access denied

Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:49 am

Hello Andy,

I have tried testing this, but I was not quite able to replicate the described behavior.

If possible, could you please create a sample project that reproduces this and forward it to me (it could be either here or by e-mail at support at advancedinstaller dot com)?

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

nchounlapane

Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:53 pm

Hello! I am also getting the same exact issue as Andy. Our security policy prevents execution of scripts from the Temp folder, and Prevents all programs from running files from the Temp folder.

Following up to his question, can AI use a different folder other than the TEMP folder due to security policy?

Nick

Catalin

Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:13 pm

Hello Nick,

Thank you for your followup on this!

I was not aware the reason of the error was the security policy restricting scripts to be executed from the %temp% folder.
Following up to his question, can AI use a different folder other than the TEMP folder due to security policy?
Unfortunately not, but we already have an improvement regarding this on our TODO list of improvements - i.e. changing the running path of PowerShell scripts from %temp% folder to a different folder.

I will update this thread as soon as this improvement will be added to Advanced Installer.

Best regards,
Catalin

Catalin

Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:15 pm

Hello Fadi,

For now, I'm afraid that I do not have a solution for this issue.

However, as mentioned above, there is an improvement in this direction on our TODO list.

Best regards,
Catalin

Catalin

Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:03 pm

Hello,

This improvement has been added in version 20.0 of Advanced Installer, released on October 18th, 2022.

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Common Problems”