shredder159

Advanced installer is unable to create registry entries

Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:32 pm

Hello,

I am trying to create a msi project for a VSTO addin (MS Excel). The setup works fine when I create per-user type of installer however, when I select the option "all users", that's when AI fails to create the registry entries needed although the installation itself does not fail, but then the addin does not load. If I then go to the app directory (which is program files folder) and run the manifest then the addin loads, but then I have 2 instances of the addin (when i try to uninstall it from control panel).

Again, the above behavior is only when i use "All users" as the type for my installer. Is there any additional permission needed for AI to be able to create the registry entries for "All user" type of installation? If yes, how do I set that up in AI? If no, what am I missing here?

P.S: I have checked this: viewtopic.php?t=20441 and it does not seem to be related to my issue as the vsto|vstolocal key is present in the registry section of AI.

I am using VS 2019 community edition with Excel 2016 professional plus.

Thank you for your help

Catalin

Re: Advanced installer is unable to create registry entries

Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:55 pm

Hello and welcome to our forums,

Unfortunately, I can not really say why this is happening.

In order for me to further investigate this, could you please forward me the following resources:

- a copy of the .AIP file

- a download link for the setup that installs the addin

- the verbose log of the installation process

- some details about the scenario (e.g. what registry entries I should be looking for, etc.)

by e-mail at support at advancedinstaller dot com?

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”