vishalb

Uninstalling 3rd Party MSI

Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:50 am

Hi,

I'm trying to create a package which uninstalls a 3rd party MSI and then installs a new one.

To uninstall, I've created a Prerequisite. Under the Pre-install, I've added the MSI and I'm assuming to uninstall it I need to add something in the "Install Command Lines". So I've added the command "/x /qn" under Full UI, Basic UI and Silent (no UI).

However, this doesn't seem to work. I'm just trying to do the uninstall first, get that working and then attempt the Install MSI (new package).

For the new package MSI, I'm assuming I'd do this in the Prerequisite too? or would it be in the main installation?

Thanks,
Vishal

Catalin

Re: Uninstalling 3rd Party MSI

Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:26 pm

Hello Vishal,

The logic you are trying to use may indeed be correct, however please note that not all setup packages have the "/x" argument. This may differ depending on the developer that created the setup, or maybe the software used to create the setup.

If you want to uninstall a 3rd party software when your setup is installed, you could use the "Upgrades" section of the "Upgrades Page".
Upgrades
In this section you can specify other products that will be upgraded when your package will be installed. Note that these packages must be MSI-based, you cannot use this page to upgrade packages which don't use the Windows Installer technology. When you click the [ New... ] button Advanced Installer shows a dialog which allows you to select the target installation package from the disk.
Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”