SimLoe

Changing Fonts - "Use Indirection" option

Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:14 pm

Hi Team,

I was trying to change some fonts for a project using the "Surface" theme.

For example, I edited the font "Manufacturer" (Property "ManufacturerFont").
However, these modifications only apply if I go to the Dialogs page, select the text field and then change "Use Indirection" to "false". As long as it is true, the changes won't apply.
This means for me that I have to go to every single install sequence page and change the text styles of every single text box for all changes to apply.

I guess, I am doing this wrong because that can't be the expected behavior.

Can you help me out?

Best regards,
Simon

Catalin

Re: Changing Fonts - "Use Indirection" option

Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:47 pm

Hello Simon,

I have tested this and everything worked as expected on my end - the changes were also reflected when running the installer:
ManufacturerFont.png
ManufacturerFont.png (262.74KiB)Viewed 23017 times

Are you testing this using the latest version (because that is what I've been using)? If not, could you please let me know what version you are using so I can further test this?

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

SimLoe

Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:57 am

Hi Catalin,

I can confirm that this is working as expected when using the theme "BlackSurface". However, when I am using "WhiteSurface", those changes won't apply. I am using version 18.4.
Can you check that on your end?

Best regards,
Simon

Catalin

Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:23 pm

Hello Simon,

Thank you for your followup on this!

I have tested this and I could indeed replicate the described behavior.

It looks like the only themes on which this works are "BlackSurface" and "RedSurface".

I have forwarded this to our development team and hopefully it will be fixed in a future version of Advanced Installer.

Best regards,
Catalin

SimLoe

Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:59 am

Hello Catalin,

this bug is even bigger and needs to be fixed as soon as possible. I expect to get an emergency fix by next week, you can contact me via email.

We just realized that when we set a background image, also indirection is not used correctly. This does not only mean that we would have to set the picture individually for every dialog page, but also the drop down menus are displayed completely random.
For this screenshot we selected the background explicitly. For every other page, the background is not taken and is black.

This way, we are not able to publish our software, so I really need you to fix this asap!

Please forward this issue to your development immediately.

Best regards,
Simon
Attachments
error2.png
error2.png (32.57KiB)Viewed 22524 times
error1.png
error1.png (17.32KiB)Viewed 22524 times

Catalin

Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:07 pm

Hello Simon,

Before forwarding this to our development team, could you please give me a step-by-step test case which I can follow in order to reproduce this issue on my end?

Perhaps I can find something in the meantime.

Additionally, does this issue also reproduce on the "BlackSurface" theme (the one where the changes done to the font are reflected)?, or is it particular to the other themes where the font changes are also not reflected?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,
Catalin

SimLoe

Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:18 pm

Hello Catalin,

i will send you the AIP file of my project to have a look at it. In the meantime, I continued my research. It looks like if I use the "Test Installation UI" option, everything from the background perspective is rendering as expected. When I actually build the setup and run it, the colors of the "BrightCyanSurface" theme are not taken and the borders are black and the background of the dropdown etc. as well.

Left, you see how it looks using the "Test Installation UI" option, right you see the actual build (both done on the same machine).
error3.png
error3.png (13.79KiB)Viewed 22212 times
It somehow looks like the internal background is gone missing (our selected background image is displayed correctly).

I was not able to reproduce the behavior with a sample project, but trying to do so, I found out that this bug is still active, because I encountered it as well: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23602
Maybe this has something to do with it?

Please let me know if you need further information to fix this!

Best regards,
Simon

SimLoe

Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:19 pm

PS: This behavior is the same for every "Surface" theme I choose...

SimLoe

Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:28 am

Hello Catalin,

do you have any news for me? It's really frustrating having to wait every time a couple of days for your answers...

Best regards,
Simon

Catalin

Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:09 pm

Hello Simon,

I was not feeling well yesterday, therefore I had to take the day off, thus the reply has been delayed a bit.

Regarding the issue, I have built the .AIP file you have provided using dummy resources and everything worked as expected on my end. Here is how the drop-down looks when launching the setup:
test.png
test.png (137.49KiB)Viewed 21339 times

Could you please forward me a download link for the setup so I can test that as well?

Additionally, are you able to reproduce this on multiple machines, or is this issue specific to only one machine?

If it is the latter, could you please give me some more details about the display settings (the resolution & the DPI)?

Best regards,
Catalin

SimLoe

Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:37 pm

Hello Catalin,

are you sure, you actually built the setup or used the "Test Installation UI" option?
I built the setup with different machines and used different machines for running the setup. The result is always the same: The background is black.

What are the technical differences between using the "Test Installation UI" option and the actual build? Is there something responsible for setting the background color?
Can we have a Teams meeting? I would like to show you how it looks here.

Is there an option I can use in order to change the background color of something like the drop down menus?

Best regards,
Simon

Catalin

Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:50 pm

Hello Simon,
are you sure, you actually built the setup or used the "Test Installation UI" option?
I am, yes.
What are the technical differences between using the "Test Installation UI" option and the actual build? Is there something responsible for setting the background color?
As far as I am concerned, there shouldn't be any.

I believe I was able to find the culprit here.

First of all, there are two builds in your project:
TwoBuilds.png
TwoBuilds.png (30.62KiB)Viewed 21314 times

For each build, you have a different theme:

- one has the BrightCyanSurface theme

- the other one (the NoDatabase one) has the BlackSurface theme

For both dialogs, on the "LanguageDlg" dialog, you have pointed to the same background, the white-background.jpg
WhiteBackground.png
WhiteBackground.png (79.22KiB)Viewed 21314 times

Most likely, after building the setup, you are launching the "NoDatabase" build, resulting in the BlackSurface theme with the white background.
NoDatabase.png
NoDatabase.png (107.56KiB)Viewed 21314 times

If you would have launched the build that has the BrightCyanSurface theme (the "DefaultBuild"), you should get the behavior you expect:
DefaultBuild.png
DefaultBuild.png (55.55KiB)Viewed 21314 times

Most likely, when you have used the "Test installation UI" option, you have used it for the DefaultBuild build, while afterwards launching the NoDatabase build.
TestInstallationUI.png
TestInstallationUI.png (106.15KiB)Viewed 21314 times

Hope this will help. :)

Best regards,
Catalin

SimLoe

Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:11 pm

Hi Catalin,

you were totally right. I didn't know that you could change the theme per build.
Thank you very much for your help!

Now, only the bug using the "indirection" option still exists, leading to having to change the fonts for every single page, but at least there's a workaround :-)

Best regards,
Simon

Catalin

Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:51 am

You are always welcome, Simon! :)

Best regards,
Catalin

Catalin

Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:55 pm

Hello Simon,

Regarding the font issue, after further discussing this with our development team, it looks like the behavior is normal.

The Manufacturer font is changed for variations using the Fallback support.

In order to change the font for white lets say, you need to change the ManufacturerGreen font (basically what the color is for it. In our case, for the WhiteSurface theme, it is green), e.g.:
ManufacturerGreen.png
ManufacturerGreen.png (64.23KiB)Viewed 16571 times

This should result in the following when launching the setup:
setup.png
setup.png (44.44KiB)Viewed 16571 times

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Common Problems”