mfritsche

Installer autodetects compile time references instead of runtime references - uses ref folder instead of lib folder

Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:09 pm

Advanced installer in version 18.6 autodetects the wrong references for a simple C# project that contains a reference to the gRPC nuget package.
The path to the nuget packages uses the compile time dll under "...\nuget\packages\<some package>\ref\..." instead of the runtime dll under "...\nuget\packages\<some package>\lib\..."
That wrong path is autogenerated into the *.aip file.
Manually fixing those references in the *.aip file and building the installer via Developer Command Prompt "msbuild MyInstaller.aiproj" works around this issue and produces an installer with the correct dll files.

After building the project you can look at obj/project.assets.json to see that the dlls differ between compile and runtime for some dependencies of gRPC like System.Buffers.dll

See the attached zip for an example project.
Attachments
AdvancedInstaller_ref_lib_dlls.zip
(17.63KiB)Downloaded 474 times

Catalin

Re: Installer autodetects compile time references instead of runtime references - uses ref folder instead of lib folder

Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:38 pm

Hello and welcome to our forums,

Unfortunately, I can not really say why this is happening.

I have forwarded this to our development team for further investigations and I will update this thread as soon as I will have any useful information.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

mfritsche

Re: Installer autodetects compile time references instead of runtime references - uses ref folder instead of lib folder

Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:32 pm

I have received an email with some dll. Was that from you?

Were you able to reproduce the problem with my attached sample project?

Dan

Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:40 pm

Hi,

Indeed, we've sent you over the email a hotfix. Please let us know if the problem is fixed when using the sent dll.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team

mfritsche

Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:12 am

The problem appears to be fixed with your workaround. Thank you!

Will this fix be a part of the next version of Advanced Installer?

Catalin

Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:15 am

Hello,

Thank you for your followup on this!

We are glad to hear everything works as expected now.

Yes, this should be included in the next version of Advanced Installer.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Common Problems”