a.varantes

Azure DevOps Build with AI Plugin

Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:40 pm

Hello,
I've a VS solution that I need to deploy with an .msi.
The output from my main project are 2 dll's and I've some external references too.
I'm using the Advanced Installer Extension to create my msi (locally), creating a DefaultBuild and indicating my project output. Locally everything seems fine, I can generate the .msi, run it and install the dll's on my mahcine.

Now, I need to build an Azure Devops Build that will generate this package when triggered, this is the pipeline:

When I run the pipeline, at the Advanced installer build, I got an error

It seems that my Visual Studio Step output is not recognized by the advanced installer build.

Can someone help me here?

Many thanks, best regards

Liviu

Re: Azure DevOps Build with AI Plugin

Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:46 am

Hi,

I've used the following command line and it worked as expected:

Code: Select all

AdvancedInstaller.com /edit MyProject.aip /SetPackageName MyPackage.msi -buildname DefaultBuild
From the part of the screenshot that you have provided, it looks like two dependencies are missing - in this case, a .DLL and a .XML file.
missing.png
missing.png (6.8KiB)Viewed 28605 times

Please make sure, in Azure DevOps, that all of your setup project dependencies are present.

Please let us know if that worked.

Best regads,
Liviu

a.varantes

Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:28 pm

Hi Liviu,
That two files are the output from the step "Build solution", Visual Studio Build, generated by this step.
I can't say to my Advanced Installer Build "go get them" after the build once that my .aip file that contains the paths are already in the GIT repo.

Daniel

Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:29 am

Hi,

Advanced Installer saves the path to your app output files as a relative path to the .AIP file location on disk. Thus when uploading your .AIP file into your Azure DevOps repository you should make sure the .AIP file is hosted in the same location (relative to the path of your app output files) inside your VS solution folder.

On the other hand, there is no really need to use a separate Advanced Installer Build task to build your setup project. Since you build your Visual Studio solution, the setup project will be also built as part of the VS sln build.

Thus I would recommend you to use the following approach to build and get your setup package file from Azure DevOps: Publish the Advanced Installer packages as builds artifacts in Azure DevOps

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”