Justin

Recover lost installed files

Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:58 am

Hello,
Is there any recover mechanism to recover lost installed file while I execute application. Recently I faced some files was missing in the installation folder, so I can't run my application successfully. I would like to know if we can recover the lost file when I double click the application shortcut.

Thanks,
Best Regards,
Justin

Liviu

Re: Recover lost installed files

Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:26 am

Hi Justin,

You can try to use the "Advertised shortcut" option as explained in our How do I implement self-healing into the application? article.

Hope this helps! If you have any other questions. please don't hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,
Liviu

Justin

Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:28 pm

Hi Liviu,
Got it and thanks.

Best Regards,
Justin

Liviu

Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:23 am

You are always welcome, Justin!

Please let us know if there is anything else we could help you with and we will gladly assist.

Best regards,
Liviu

Justin

Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:07 am

Hello Liviu,
The self-healing feature works fine for a while. But if I delete the original installed .msi file the feature doesn't work. Could you help me on this?

Thanks!!
Best Regards,
Justin

Liviu

Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:17 am

Hi Justin,

This is the default behavior when using .msi package. If any resource is missing, Windows Installer will fix it by running the installation package and installing again all resources from the .msi file. Have a look on Windows Installer Advertised Shortcuts article.

However, as a workaround, you can try to use .EXE package and check the "Do not delete extracted MSI and CAB files" option from the "Builds" page. This way the Advertised Shortcuts will use the package under the "AppDataFolder" folder even if you delete the .exe installer. But if somehow this package also gets deleted, there is no way to run the repair since it needs to run the installation package again.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Liviu

Return to “Common Problems”