Stijn1derBeek

Multiple instances wont install version with the same Product Code

Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:06 pm

Hello,

I came across another interesting thing with Advanced Installer. When I'm using multiple instances, I make an version and I can install it a few times - works as intended. When I have to issue a small fix, like typo somewhere, or something small, I generate a new installer executable, whether or not bumping the version number the newer installer wont install stating there's a different version of this product on the given machine, and I have to remove it first. It wouldn't be an issue if we wouldn't need 3-5 configured environments at a given time.

Steps to reproduce:
1, Create new project
2, Turn on multiple instances
3, generate a new version, move it to a different directory (lets say this is "version A")
4, modify the project in some way, or even just don't do any modifications just press save
5, generate another version (I will refer to this as "version B")

Observations:
If I install version A at least one time, I cant use the version B on the same machine, without removing version A first. This works the other way around too.

Expected behaviour:
Software installs without issue when there are 0 modifications to the product code or version number.

Thank you in advance!

Liviu

Re: Multiple instances wont install version with the same Product Code

Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:04 pm

Hi,

I've tested your scenario, but to be honest with you I'm not sure I understand what you mean when saying that "I cant use the version B on the same machine".

If I have v1 package installed and I run v2 package I can "Install a new instance" or to "Maintain or upgrade an already installed instance".

Could you please give me some more details about your scenario when running the second package version, together with a step by step test case which I can follow in order to reproduce the problem?

Even better, it would be very helpful if you could isolate this problem in two sample projects (v1 and v2) that reproduce this issue so we could test them.

Best regards,
Liviu

Return to “Common Problems”