mpande

Run Github Integrated Automatic Update Upgrade Silently

Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:09 pm

Hi! I'm using the professional version of advanced installer.

I'm trying to figure out how to run a github integrated automatic update upgrade silently.

I understand the windows scheduled task should have the command argument /silentall, and that works perfectly. The updater itself isn't requiring user interaction. What I want is for the installer to also run silently, as if it were run from the command line with the /qn command line argument.

My assumption from looking at this page (https://www.advancedinstaller.com/user- ... ation.html) is that when not using github integration I could put the /qn into the server Updates Configuration File under the command line section, and the installer would run quietly. That configuration file doesn't exist when using github integration, and I haven't been able to find out how to do the equivalent.

Am I missing something or making a faulty assumption?

Liviu

Re: Run Github Integrated Automatic Update Upgrade Silently

Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:42 pm

Hi,
I could put the /qn into the server Updates Configuration File under the command line section, and the installer would run quietly. That configuration file doesn't exist when using github integration, and I haven't been able to find out how to do the equivalent.
Indeed, the configuration file does not exist on GitHub, but additionally, "advinst_update.json" asset can be specified, where additional Updater Configuration fields can be configured, such as "CommandLine".

To achieve this please follow these steps:

1. Create a file named "advinst_update.json" with the following code:

Code: Select all

{
  "CommandLine": "/qn"
}

2. Upload this file to the git repository next to the version 2 package, on releases.
GitHub updater.png
GitHub updater.png (28.2KiB)Viewed 7369 times

Also, do not forget that your update package must run elevated in order to use the /qn command. You can enable that from the "Install Parameters" page --> "Run as administrator" option.

Please let me know if this helped you!

Best regards,
Liviu

mpande

Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:47 am

This answers my question!

Thank you!

Liviu

Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:36 am

You're always welcome!